We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Florence and back in one day

Richardson, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rome to Florence and back in one day

We are spending 2 nights and 2 1/2 days in Rome before a cruise. Is it feasible to spend one of those days taking the train to Florence to see Michaelanglo's David? From the looks of it, we could take a 1 1/2 hour train ride to Florence to do this.

Any advise?

Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Florence and back in one day

2 and a half days in Rome is not enough time to do it justice.

you would need @ least a week to get a feel for what Rome has to offer.

I would focus just on Rome and save Florence for another time.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
130 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Florence and back in one day

It is feasible - we did that on our trip to Rome in April just make sure you get a reservation to Academia. We took the 7am train there and a 6pm train back to Rome. It was worth seeing Michaelango's masterpiece!

Chicago
Level Contributor
93 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Florence and back in one day

It is doable, but you will easily be able to spend 2.5 days in Rome, and still feel like you didn't have enough time. You'll have to weigh if seeing David (and the rest of the beautiful city of Florence) is important enough to spend 4-5 hours of travel (factoring in waiting, time to & from the trains, getting reoriented, etc.)

Edited: 03 June 2011, 20:48
Long Island NY
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Florence and back in one day

a question to MissHolly18, how much was the ticket to florence and how long did it take you to get there? ( im assuming that you took the train), thanks!!!!

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,494 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome to Florence and back in one day

Many things are possible, but much less things are worth. You have just 2 1/2 days, which are few for Rome and hardly enough for Florence. I'd say: choose which you prefer, Rome and Florence, and visit it the best way you can. Try to visiting both would be tiring, expensive and useless.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
957 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome to Florence and back in one day

My daughter and I did a day trip to Florence from Rome last year, although we were in Rome for an entire week. I thought it was a fairly easy and relaxing trip. We didn't even leave that early - took the 10am train and arrived at 11:30am. Took the 6pm train back and arrived in Rome in time for a nice dinner. Last year, 2nd class ticket was 44 euro and 1st class was 66 euro, if I remember correctly. I know they have gone up slightly since then. We went 2nd class up to Florence, but had to purchase 1st class returning since 2nd class was sold out when we got to the train station. If all you want to do is see the David, do make sure you have a reservation. I lived in Florence years ago and my daughter lived in Rome for a year in college, so we were not focused on seeing any particular sights - just wandering around and enjoying the atmosphere of Florence.

greenville
Level Contributor
14 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome to Florence and back in one day

Hello

how do you get the ticket to see " David"

I am taking my mother to rome for her 70th birthday and we actually have 8days ( I have been there before and know you want to pace yourself:)

One of the days I plan on doing Florence

BTW frist class is now 92 and 2nd 66- I just priced last night

thanks!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,709 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome to Florence and back in one day

Do the 92 and 66 refer to Eurail prices in dollars? Because 1st class is actually 63 euros and 2nd class is 45 euros.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome to Florence and back in one day

We took one of 4 days from Rome to visit Florence. I wanted to see Michaelanglo's David, climb the steps of the Duomo, see he Vecchio Ponte and the golden doors of the Baptistry. The rest of the time we strolled around around, before taking the 6 pm train back to Rome. It was expensive for a family of 4, but the view overlooking Florence from the Duomo, on a clear day was breathtaking and PRICELESS. Oh yeah, I can now say I have seen David, which is absolutely impressive.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,874 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome to Florence and back in one day

I agree with the other posters who say that with only 2 1/2 days in Rome, this is something to save for another trip.

You have a very short time. You are taking about a half day out that time to travel--and while Rome and Florence are both extraordinary, the train ride between them is not.