We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freindly out of the way restaurants

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
florida
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
Freindly out of the way restaurants

I was wondering if anyone could recommend places to eat where they are out of the tourist roads I know I have heard there are some that don't even have menus, family owned, freindly, I am not looking for any big restaurants where all the tourists go I want some where the locals hang out. ( I speak Italian so the language is no problem)

I will be staying in the Trevi fountain area. Any ideas would help.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Freindly out of the way restaurants

Try the link below where I have reprted on just such a restaurant which should be within 10 - 15 minutes from your hotel.

tripadvisor.com/…2650172

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,484 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Freindly out of the way restaurants

Lele - here is Perfecttune's restaurant review:

Trattoria Del Pallaro is in Largo Dei Pallaro opposite the rear right hand side of the church on Via Emmanuelle near Campo Di Fiori. No fancy tables, no menu, no prices, no windows as such, just a name over the door with a few tables outside, (we actually walked past it once when looking for it)! Very little English spoken by any of the waiters and none at all by 'Mamma' or 'Papa. Simply sit down and you will be immediately presented with a bottle of white wine and a bottle of water followed by 5 antipasta dishes, a pasta course, main course and dessert. (Two tables were seen to swop the white for a jug of red wine). No tourists and 'Mamma' kept patting my partners shoulder and saying something with a smile in Italien on passing, felt like we had joined a family dinner, great food and a lovely atmosphere. Cost; 21 Euros a head.

I completely agree...this restaurant is fantastic. When we were there "Mamma Paola" with her turbaned head treated us like family and insisted that we return the following evening...we did! She told us when she was making our reservation. She will pretend not to speak English, so brush up on your Italian. Also, there will be a line and Paola basically ignores it, bringing in friends and regulars. If you have a Rick Steve's travel book with her review in it, take it with you and she will seat you right away. Plan on eating every bite of food...they get annoyed if you don't. So go hungry!

This is absolutely one of our best memories in Rome, and we're going back in May and taking family with us. Hopefully when I show Paola the photo we took of her and me she will get us right in.

Ithaca ny
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Freindly out of the way restaurants

When my wife and visited Rome last yr we bought the book "Cheap Eats in Rome" (I forget the author) and picked out a lunch spot everyday. We loved every spot the book recommended-all were off the beaten path a bit, and populated mostly by natives, often with no sign or street advertising.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Freindly out of the way restaurants

Well, there goes eating at Trattoria Del Pallaro. A good secret is hard to keep.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Freindly out of the way restaurants

Del Pallaro is very touristy. It's listed in lots of guidebooks. I'm not saying it's not good, but it's hardly undiscovered.

DETROIT
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Freindly out of the way restaurants

Hi lele100

I was in Rome this past November and I can recommend a few really good Family owned Restaurants that We Loved...

Henry Cows (Now that's Italian;)off SeptXX

Michele's Near the Train Station

Tullio's Not cheap but very good.

Have a blast in Rome. Theresa from Detroit

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,484 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Freindly out of the way restaurants

We found Trattoria del Pallaro to be very 'un' touristy. Everyone around us was a local. Sitting at one of the few outside and fairly shabby tables does not imply tourist to me, but that was just our experience. Perhaps they've changed?

Arlington,VA
Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Freindly out of the way restaurants

there is a place right across campo di fiori ...the address is via governo vecchio 127...the name is simply Hostoria....i twice for dinner and the place has not changed in the course of a year...very friendly staff...amazing food...full of locals...if you go you will not be upset.

I have been to Italy 5 times in the past 5 years and will be going back in April and plan to go to this restaurant again. It is by far the best one I have been to in Rome.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Freindly out of the way restaurants

Since you speak Italian, just ask the locals on the street - wherever you happen to be when it's getting close to meal time - my Italian is minimal, but I always find a local hangout this way -- the locals always seem pleased that I trot out my limited (but beautifully pronounced) vocabulary to have the opportunity to eat like a real Roman.

florida
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Freindly out of the way restaurants

Thank you all for your responds

Corp4ever, The restaurant you spoke of hosteria, can you tell me near what area that is?

Thanks again