We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 days in Italy

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
14 days in Italy

Just looking for some opinions on how we should split this up??

We were thinking 10 days in Rome, 2 days in Pisa/Florence and 2 days in Venice. Does this seem reasonable?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
287 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 days in Italy

10 days in Rome is a lot. You could see most of the worthwhile sites in 3 to 5 days. And there's so much else to see in Italy besides Rome!

2 days just for Florence is probably good. Pisa doesn't take long to see--it has three sites, all right next to each other--but it does take time to get there and back. I'd add a 3rd day in the area for Pisa. That will give you a little additional time in Florence.

2 days for Venice is plenty. The city itself is the sight.

That leaves with with an additional 4 days or so for other things. I'd suggest a day or two in Siena, maybe a day trip from Rome down to Naples to see its archaeological museum and Pompeii. A visit to the Cinqueterre for a couple of days could fit in there. I'm sure other posters will have additional suggestions.

Texas
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 days in Italy

Agree with RWStewart, 10 days in Rome is alot, try the Cinque Terre for a few days or plan a couple of day trips from Rome.

Tinley Park...
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 days in Italy

Just got back from 14 days in Italy. We did 6 days in Rome, felt it was plenty of time to see all the sights, 4 days in Florence with 1 of those days we took the train roundtrip to Venice, and 4 days roaming around Tuscany - Pisa, Sienna, Cortona and Montepluciano by car. We loved Florence and Tuscany!

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,020 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 days in Italy

I think 10 days in Rome is a over kill too, if you do stay the 10 days get out and do some day trips. Like Zagarolo a 30 min train ride from Rome Orvieto, a beautiful hill town about one hour from Rome. This is a great one, Ostia Antica, a ancient seaport, there are other places that also are so much fun. If you want to see the big ruins you got Pompeii but that is a allday trip. Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Washington, DC
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 days in Italy

Agree with other posters; 10 days in Rome is perhaps a tad long. My wife and I spent 6 days in Florence and loved every minute. Florence is a good city to use as a hub. It's easy to get to Piza for a day. Return to the hotel, refresh your batteries, and head to Sienna the next day. It is also an easy train ride to the seashore and good seafood.

Have a wonderful trip!

Edited: 09 June 2011, 17:59
Vancouver Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 days in Italy

With only 14 days, travel time, and time spent checking in and out of hotels I would not "do" more than 3 locations. Rome is amazing, and after 3 visits (the last was for 3 weeks) I hunger for more. However for a first time visit, it's nice to get a taste of the major sites. Definitely add a 3rd day to Venice just to wander and get lost. Two days is good for Florence. Add 2 or even 3 day trips from Rome. Orvietto is an amazing place. Then there is Naples and Caserta. I think RW's schedule too rushed and the locations too far apart.

A way to see your trip in perspective is to take a calendar and mark off your location on each day. Note which are your travel days and look up the time it will take you to get to your destination. Add an hour or two to check out of your hotel and get to the station and an additional hour to get to and settled in your new hotel. Write the total on the square for your travel day. This will help you see how much of a "day" you really have somewhere.

Fredericton
Level Contributor
168 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 14 days in Italy

We are doing 14 days later this year, and have decided to g with Venice (3), Cinque Terre (3), Florence (3), and Rome (5). Depends on your interests!

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 14 days in Italy

I'd stay in an apartment in Rome for 10 nights. But I'd do a day trip every couple of days. It's nice to have home base and a neighborhood you can learn your way around quickly. But we don't like the packing and unpacking all the time.

To add to the list already started above, a day in Tivoli would be fun! I hear there are wonderful gardens. I hope someday to visit this area.

Safe travels!

9. Re: 14 days in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 15:16