We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican.....air conditioned?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, AB.
14 posts
Save Topic
Vatican.....air conditioned?

This is probably a silly question ......... but is the Vatican and/or any other sights air conditioned? I'm planning our 3 days in Rome in August and wondered if I could beat the heat while sightseeing?

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,322 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican.....air conditioned?

I can't recall any historic sights in Rome that have air-con.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican.....air conditioned?

No, the Vatican Museum is not air-conditioned. If your room has a refrigerator maybe you can take one of those scarves that you chill and wear around your neck.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatican.....air conditioned?

nothing is really air conditioned in rome, st peters and churches in general feel cooler because of the stone and marble, but they just take the edge off a little, it's still gonna be hot everywhere you sight see. just bring plenty of water with you..... you can refill your bottles in the numerous drinking fountains found all over the city.... the water comes out really cool.

wear a had and sun screen and maybe you can invest in one of those hand held fans ...... they are called ventaglio (singular) in italian.

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vatican.....air conditioned?

I found those fold up fans in the Asian market. They were only a couple of dollars each. They fit perfectly in the bottom of my purse and come in handy in Rome in August!

Safe travels!

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vatican.....air conditioned?

The one large room in the Vatican Museums that is air-conditioned is the one containing tapestries. It also has reduced lighting, both of which protect the tapestries. Fortunately, this room is on the main shlep to the Sistine Chapel, so you can linger in there to cool off.

Also, the Borghese Gallery, which IMO is a must-see if you like renaissance art, is air-conditioned.

Bring a water bottle and keep refilling it. And a handkerchief to mop your brow. Rome is brutal in August. Fortunately, all those fountains have perfectly clean drinking water and you'll see the Romans (what few are left in the city in August) refilling their bottles in them.

Calgary, AB.
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vatican.....air conditioned?

Thanks so much to everyone. Soooooooo would you visit the Vatican and St. Peters in the mid day heat or the Colosseum and Forum? I'm especially concerned for our 2 young children aged 5 and 3.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vatican.....air conditioned?

I would do the outdoor sites as early in the day as is possible. Use sunscreen, have water and caps/hats. It is hot/humid and that sun really is searing.

Personally, I wouldn't take such small children into that museum with the massive crowds and heat - but, that is personal choice. With those crowds I don't know what they will even be able to see or be able to appreciate -

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Vatican.....air conditioned?

this is just my opinion, as I have young children myself ---- I would not even think about going to the vatican with kids, st peter's ok, because it's shady and cool and even though there are a lot of people inside, it's not crowded the way the museum is. (also you can't bring strollers into the vatican or st peter's -- you have to check them)

if you do the forum and colisseum, do it either in the morning or the evening to avoid the hottest time of the day as there is very little shade @ these sites.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vatican.....air conditioned?

You can take strollers into the Vatican Museums. It says so on their website and I saw someone with one there in April. I don't know about St Peters. I don't think a 3 and 5 year old would get much out of it, but that is probably not the primary reason to go. The Forum was getting pretty hot in April around noon, so I would agree that the earlier the better. The Colosseum was not as hot as the Forum in April and there was more shade.

Definitely take water as mentioned earlier, and I've found a good way to cool off is to splash some of the water on your face. It was pretty easy to find fountains to refill water bottles at.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,050 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vatican.....air conditioned?

"Thanks so much to everyone. Soooooooo would you visit the Vatican and St. Peters in the mid day heat or the Colosseum and Forum? I'm especially concerned for our 2 young children aged 5 and 3"

Your children do not appear to be school age, so I am wondering why the August visit?

You are fron Calgary which is cold, I really could recommend in the future visiting in Feb-March when it feel s like spring to those of us from a cold climate. Even Dec in 2006 was quite pleasant

It is goign to be hot everywhere. Wake up as early as you can and visti what you can get in before it gets too hot. St peter's might feel cool insdie but you have to walk a lot outside in the heat to get there.