We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mini Fares

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, MS
Level Contributor
463 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Mini Fares

I want to go ahead and book train tickets on the Eurostar for September, 1st class. There are Mini Fares available now. How often do the price of these Mini fares change or are they always the same price as long as they are available?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mini Fares

From all that I've seen, it's a one-way street - with prices rising as the particular train's allocation of Mini seats is sold..... so the biggest discounts are those on offer first!

Peter

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,843 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mini Fares

Also, different trains and different times have different mini fares. The same route can have many different mini fares so it pays to search several trains to see which time will be the cheapest. Be sure you are able to make the train you book as the mini fares are non-changeable and non-refundable.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mini Fares

Actually, you can exchange a Mini fare ticket for a different train leaving later than the one you originally reserved, as long as you do it at least one day before your original travel date. However, you have to exchange it for a full fare ticket, paying the difference. Sometimes it would cost less to buy a new Mini fare ticket and just discard the original one.

I had to exchange a Mini fare ticket about two weeks ago, and had no problems other than the additional cost. It seemed to me that I had paid two euros more than the difference in price, but I no longer had the original ticket to check.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mini Fares

We saved hundreds of euros with mini fare tickets.

If you are on a fast train, and want to pick your seats...

try this part of trenitalia: Le Frecce

www.ferroviedellostato.it/cms/v/index.jsp…

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mini Fares

Just be aware that the site indicated by VTJedi shows *only* the fast trains on a route. You can often save even more money by taking a slower regional train, and sometimes it's not even that much slower.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,564 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mini Fares

The DEADLINE within which to purchase one of the "MINI" fares tickets was recently tightened to TWO days beforehand (instead of 23:59 of the day beforehand). This is done without fanfare and without any specific mention of the change (except perhaps in a news release?).

QUOTE:

The MINI offer can be booked up two days before departure on this website, at authorised travel agencies and through our call centre, also with ticketless option, at ticket desks and self-service ticket machines at train stations.

As a practical matter, most of the really generous "MINI" fares would require an advance purchase much, much greater than just one or two days. Nevertheless, the tightening of the deadline for purchase is not inconsequential, even though it's an additional 24 hours.

7. Re: Mini Fares

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 07:17