We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cat sanctuary in roman ruins - must see for cat lovers!!!

Virginia
4 posts
Save Topic
Cat sanctuary in roman ruins - must see for cat lovers!!!

I visited Rome last May, and, being an ardent cat lover, volunteered at the Torre Argentina cat sanctuary. It is located in Largo di Torre Argentina, just below the Pantheon, and is in the middle of the ruins where Julius Caesar was murdered. This inspiring sanctuary has about 300 cats that it cares for at any one time. If you are a cat lover, I recommend that you visit this sanctuary. You can also visit it online at http://www.romancats.com

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Torre Argentina Cat Sanctuary
Torre Argentina Cat...
653 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,129 Reviews
Rome, Italy
San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
151 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cat sanctuary in roman ruins - must see for cat lovers!!!

Thank you so much for posting about the cat sanctuary. We are planning our trip to Rome for June of 2006 and are hoping to stay at the Teotro di Pompeo hotel because it seems to be within walking distance of the sanctuary. My daughter keeps saying this is the first place we are visiting when we get there. Could you please tell me if you needed to make an appointment with them or can anyone visit during their open hours 12-6pm?

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
592 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cat sanctuary in roman ruins - must see for cat lovers!!!

We visited and LOVED Torre Argentina this past summer. Our family of four spent quite a while there and met some wonderful people. We didn't volunteer (though I'd love to have more time to do so), but we purchased a whole bunch of their gift items and brought them back home for people (I'm looking at my calendar on the wall now).

The people that work there are so wonderful. We met a woman from Texas whose husband is stationed there (works for the govt. in some way). She showed us around and even took us over to another part of the ruins which were technically "off limits". We took dozens of photos and met some of the sweetest cats...

You do not need to make an appointment by the way.

Rome,Italy
Level Contributor
526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cat sanctuary in roman ruins - must see for cat lovers!!!

When you visit,a donation would be nice,if you can.The people who care for cats there do so throughout the city,at other locations,in a low-key way.They go through LOTS of catfood,etc.,everyday.Not to mention fuel to get to those locations.I know firsthand.Thanks.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cat sanctuary in roman ruins - must see for cat lovers!!!

Hello romancatlover:

You are obviously a fine feline-and-italophile. Thank you for your post. No doubt <<tutti i gatti di Roma>> are in your debt. Do you have any other recommendations for Rome or elsewhere in Italy?

And, vhardima, my wife and I just received our voucher/confirmed reservation from the Teatro di Pompeo this morning for May 22-25, a Monday through Wednesday. The cost was 190 euros per night -- the same as in 2003! Booked on-line through worldby.com (English pages of a German tour site apparently). Since the Pompeo has only 13 rooms, please let me suggest booking soon.

Should the Teatro not be available, we can suggest a couple of quiet, well-run hotels which are also near the Largo Torre Argentina. We've stayed at them many times over the last 20 years; they are very near or on the Piazza del Pantheon.

Buon viaggio,

1st_circle

solomente sospiri

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Virginia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cat sanctuary in roman ruins - must see for cat lovers!!!

Everyone there is really nice and very helpfull. 1st_circle, I am going there in may too, but I am staying the 26th - 30th. I am going to spend my whole time volunteering their. My family and I (I am a child) like to stay in apartments, so we are staying in a really nice apartment right off of Torre Argentina.

Virginia
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cat sanctuary in roman ruins - must see for cat lovers!!!

You're right, Unamericanaroma, they care for lots of other cats. For example, there are a lot of cats near the Pantheon and the are near the Colosseo and Foro Romano.

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,129 Reviews
Rome, Italy
SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cat sanctuary in roman ruins - must see for cat lovers!!!

Hello romancatlover:

Should you have suggestions for accommodation in Rome of any sort which you're able to share with all and sundry, please post.

Thanks,

1st_circle

solomente sospiri

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cat sanctuary in roman ruins - must see for cat lovers!!!

I too am staying at the Teatro de Pompeo (early May) and am a cat lover!! There seems to be a weird connection at the moment between that hotel and cat lovers. I was unaware of the cat sanctuary, but now... I can't wait to see it.

Virginia
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cat sanctuary in roman ruins - must see for cat lovers!!!

There are many apartments to choose from, but I recommend looking at the site www.rentalinrome.com

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
151 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cat sanctuary in roman ruins - must see for cat lovers!!!

I just received a confirmation from Hotel Teotro di Pompeo today for a room June 8th - June 12th. Triple room, EUR 220 per night. If anyone knows of other hotels in this area (walking distance from the cat sanctuary) that are well run but maybe a little cheaper, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!