We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Direct train from Pompeii to Pisa?

Burbank
Level Contributor
347 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Direct train from Pompeii to Pisa?

I ended up making a small goof in my travel arrangements, but nothing big...I was wondering if someone here could help make one of the days go a bit smoother!

What I did was I am going to Rome first, then I for some reason thought Pompeii was north of Rome, so I booked Pisa next. So I'll be heading south to Pompeii, then have to turn around and do Pompeii to Pisa all in one day..no big deal, just a bit longer of a train ride.

My question is, once I get on the train (and which one?) in Pompeii to head north to Pisa, can I stay on it ALL the way to Pisa..or does it go to Rome and I have to get off, get on another train, etc..

If anyone is well versed in this rather obscure train travel question I'd love any help I could get!!!! Thanks in advance! Also wasnt sure which forum this would be best to post to.. :/

Cynthia

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,556 Reviews
from US$74.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
541 Reviews
from US$395.80*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,875 Reviews
from US$58.80*
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,317 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Direct train from Pompeii to Pisa?

There is no direct train for your journey. I checked www.trenitalia.it, and the shortest journey would be around 5 hours, involving 2 or 3 changes, for example

Pompei to Napoli 33mins

Napoli to Firenze (Florence) 3 hours

Firenze to Pisa 1hour

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Burbank
Level Contributor
347 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Direct train from Pompeii to Pisa?

So, the Napoli would be the best..you get off there, then get a Pisa connection..correct?

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,592 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Direct train from Pompeii to Pisa?

You may not want to use Pompei's trenitalia train station, as It is nowhere near the main entrance to Pompeii where luggage can be stored while you go round the site. If you want to store luggage you should use Pompei Scavi station on the independent Circumvesuviana railway, for which train times do not appear on the trenitalia website, but at http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en and take this line as far as Napoli Garibaldi which is directly connected to the main Naples train station.

From Naples, there are a couple of slow but direct trains to Pisa, e.g. there is one at 17.17. But most connections require a change. The trenitalia website http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html tends to give most connections from Naples to Pisa with one change at Florence as this is usually fastest. But if you click the "All solutions" button it will also show some cheaper but slower alternatives with one change in Rome instead.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Garibaldi
Garibaldi
445 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Naples
Naples
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
4. Re: Direct train from Pompeii to Pisa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 17:15