We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

central NJ
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

I am touring Italy in July. I was wondering if it is worth it to buy a Gucci, LV, or Prada handbag while we are in Rome. Do they carry styles than are not available in the US? Also, is there tax? Thanks.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
17 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

You might want to try the purse forum (link below for Gucci; they also have forums for LV and Prada). Keep in mind that LV is French, not Italian. I believe there is a Gucci outlet in northern Italy, but I'm not sure if you are traveling near there. But you live in NJ - have you been to the Gucci outlet in Secaucus? I've had pretty good luck there. And at this time of year during the summer sale, the outlet also has further discounts.

http://forum.purseblog.com/gucci/

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

It' worth if, if you're looking to spend. I just returned yesterday from Rome and bought a LV bag while there. You save in the sense that you get the taxes back at the airport, which can be pretty valuable depending on what you're spending.

I've heard that the Gucci and Prada outlets in Montevarchi aren't worth the trip from Rome. I was going to go, but I was advised by a Roman friend it wasn't worth the trip, but who knows, it could be! Enjoy Rome :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

You have to work out the cost on any big ticket item before deciding to purchase in Europe or in the US.

As said, you can get a good deal off when you file your VAT- Value Added Tax. This is a tax you pay up front but you can file paperwork on your return to get a refund. After a few weeks they credit your card for the amount. You must have the paperwork and your receipts. You also must stop at the VAT desk in the last airport before you leave Europe. Lines can be long.

On the other hand, the difference in actual cost in Euro as opposed to dollars may not get you a bargain even with the VAT reimbursement.

Example: last year I bought a Louis in Paris. Even with the euro exchange rate I did save over $300 due to getting my VAT back.

Edited: 29 June 2011, 11:01
central NJ
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

Thank you for your reply. I guess I will have to see how it works out.

5. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 15:56
sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

It is a great idea to buy a luxe bag in Italy not only because of the VAT refund but also because there are sales in July and you will get a great deal. Yes, you will find that there is a wider choice than in the US. Stock can vary from city to city.

Rome has a broad selection from the collections but can veer towards the flashy side. Florence has a more conservative selection, Capri has a wide choice of all styles and Milan focuses on the more editorial choices. If you see something in Rome and decide to put off your decision because you think you can pick the same thing up in Venice or Milan, you may be disappointed. I chased all over Italy for a Pucci bikini because I decided against buying it in Rome and thought I could pick it up in Venice. So if you see it and love it then grab it!

Good luck and happy shopping!

Francoise

Excusemewhereis.blogspot.com

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

I bought a beautiful Fendi last year in Positano. At a smaller boutique, at a great price, and got the VAT back. I had visited the Fendi store on Capri, but did not find anything I liked. My tradition is to buy a bag made in the country I'm visiting. I did not buy an LV in Paris, though!

When visiting Italy this fall, I plan on visiting the Prada and Gucci outlets as we will be staying nearby.

FWIW - The Prada, Gucci, etc. at the Rome airport are very good.

Enjoy!

8. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

I just got back from a trip to Paris and Rome and bought an LV bag in Rome. I inquired about the VAT refund at the Paris store and was told at the LV store that I can get 12% back if I wanted it refunded to my credit card and 10.8% if I wanted it in cash. In Rome, the 12% refund was the same for both cash and credit card. I'm just not sure if it depended on the country where you bought it or the last airport where you'll be claiming the refund. The LV bag was cheaper by 20 euro in Paris btw but I wanted my refund in cash.

10. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

Edited: 17 February 2014, 15:56