We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

central NJ
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

I am touring Italy in July. I was wondering if it is worth it to buy a Gucci, LV, or Prada handbag while we are in Rome. Do they carry styles than are not available in the US? Also, is there tax? Thanks.

11. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 15:56
Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

Hey centralNJBeachmom3,

This is a bit late - but it might help other people!!

I was going to London from Sydney, stopping in Dubai and I wanted to know at which point is cheapest to get my perfume (Miss Dior Cherie) ... so I had a look at this site:

dutyfreeaddict.com/search#/uk/fragrances

Which is awesome - because its heaps cheaper in the UK!!

If you want to know about allowances and tax stuff there is a page too: http://dutyfreeaddict.com/about-tax

So I know that's not a handbag, but they have handbags on there to so you can just have a look.

Hope that helps someone :)

central NJ
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

Thanks!!!

Libertyville, IL
Level Contributor
622 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

I was told that you had to show not only your VAT paperwork and receipts, but also the items purchased. We shopped for clothing one day and spent over $400 in one store. I had all the paperwork, but packed the clothes. The airline attendant who checked us in at the airport said that I would need to show my purchases. Thus, I didn't receive the refund.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,016 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

Yes, it is a condition of the refund that you should be able to show the items in its original packaging.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

There's a good description of VAT refund scheme on here www.whyrome.info/italy_vat_refund_76.html - except for one glaring error in presentation! It says "Non-EU citizens are not required to pay the built in VAT tax and are entitled to receive a refund from the tax they pay on goods and merchandise": in fact, this has nothing to do with the nationality of the purchaser and everything to do with the fact that goods are being EXPORTED out of the EU, in this case in the personal baggage of a traveller who will normally be resident outside the EU (but need not have non-EU citizenship). You can always have goods zero-rated for VAT (and excise duty) purposes if they are shipped directly from Italy to e.g. USA - although of course parcels may then be liable to customs duty and other charges in the country of importation.

Virginia
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

In Rome, other than the retail stores for Gucci, etc, can you find their merchandise in other stores? I remember going into a department store, it may have been named Coin, but I don't recall if there was any merchandise from the designer brands. I like going on smaller boutiques. My first trip to Rome I was focused on sight seeing, I'm planning on a bit more shopping this time. I want to have a plan though, there are still sights to see!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,584 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

To poster #13, of course you can pack your purchases, the trick is to go to the VAT desk BEFORE you check in and if need be you can show the items to the inspector. In all the 20 or so trips we have made out of Europe, never yet been asked to show anything, and we have had a lot of purchases each time.

Edited: 13 April 2013, 12:54
19. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 15:55
20. Re: designer handbags cheaper in Rome than USA

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 15:55