We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best location to stay in Rome?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
What is the best location to stay in Rome?

I am wading through the many helpful posts and reviews on this forum, and wondered if anyone had a preference as to the location in Rome they stayed.

My husband and I will be traveling to Rome for the first time in May. We are used to -- and love -- walking, but don't want to be in the most touristy loud area. I have been warned to stay away from the Termini station because there isn't much walkable.

Do people prefer staying near the Spanish Steps? The Via Veneto? Some other region entirely? I am looking for a hotel that's not above the $200/night rate. Thanks.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,725 posts
200 reviews
1. Re: What is the best location to stay in Rome?

Piazza Navona, Campo de Fiori or Pantheon areas are very central. I think the area around the Vatican is quieter in the evenings, though.

Ontario
3 posts
2. Re: What is the best location to stay in Rome?

Hello Imgray,

We ( me and my husband) are going to Rome this april ( 3rd time).

I am just hunting accomodation. I would suggeested close to Spanish Steps, Via Veneto, St. Peter Cathedrale, Piaza Navona or Close to Fauntaine Di Trevi.Rome is crowded averywhere. If you like walking, you will walk and walk and walk and still walk. If you will be very tired you can buy 1 day or 1 week TTc ticket. You can get very good accomodation for about 120 euro per night(1 bdr. appartment). I would recomended it.

So the best location is "centro".

Have a nice trip H.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
127 posts
3. Re: What is the best location to stay in Rome?

Hello jmgray:

No matter whether it's your first time in Rome or your tenth, it's good to remember the words of Joan Didion: "It wasn't until I got to Rome that I realized that Fellini made documentaries."

The noise of Rome comes not from the tourists, but from the ubiquitous motor scooters. Yet, you can get away from them and all the automobiles too.

Do consider the Local Expert's advice: Pantheon, Navona, Campo dei Fiori are at the very center of old Rome. For walkers, though, I would add the Trastevere area, "tras-tevere" across the Tiber River via a pedestrian bridge from the Campo dei Fiori area.

Please let me suggest a very quiet, very congenial, well-run small hotel just off the Piazza of the glorious and venerable church, Santa Maria in Trastevere. The Hotel Santa Maria is a little jewel and an oasis of peace. Prices in May, I think, will be slightly above your goal. But, it has to be among bargains for 3-stars in old Rome. Do see their web site -- www.htlsantamaria.com/english/index.htm

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Santa Maria in Dec 2003, time for a little Christmas shopping after Thanksgiving in Florence. We'd definitely go back.

Another Suggestion: take a look at worldby.com It does a great job listing B&Bs, apartments, and hotels by very specific Rome "neighborhoods."

Buon Viaggio,

1st_circle

ma son sospiri

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
208 reviews
4. Re: What is the best location to stay in Rome?

Hi

This is (as you mention) a topic that has been discussed here many times. My wife and I stayed near Termini and we found it to be OK. Inner Rome is not all that big so it only took us 15-20 minutes to reach Forum/Collosseum. And it is only 2-3 stops to Spanish steps on the metro. We also used the bus to get to places like the Vatican and Piazza Navona. So don't rule out the Termin area :-)

Regards

Gard

gardkarlsen@hotmail.com

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
5. Re: What is the best location to stay in Rome?

Thanks for the help. I think we may try for the Pantheon area. . . but I am intrigued by the Trastevere area as well. Is that too far for a first-time Rome visitor?

Rome,Italy
Level Contributor
526 posts
6. Re: What is the best location to stay in Rome?

Hi,jmgray.

Actually,Trastevere is a great place to stay.More of a neighborhood feel to it.Great restaurants,piazzas,churches,museums,shops... and just cross the river and you are near more of the same.It is well-connected with trams and buses,if you need to get to destinations further away.I love going down to eat and take a stroll at least once a week.

I think that people assume that Rome is this huge sprawling city...it really is a lot smaller than it seems on a map.Besides,walking around this beautiful city NEVER gets tiring...so many things to see on every corner.Wherever you decide to stay,have a great trip!

Ciao,Michael

Belfast
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: What is the best location to stay in Rome?

We are just back from Rome and stayed in the Hotel White, a minutes walk from the Trevi Fountain, which I have to say seemed to us to be a very central location. We walked to all the places we wanted to go with the exception of the vatican when we took the bus and walked back (but we did have a baby in a pram). Would reccomend the Trevi Fountain area.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
8. Re: What is the best location to stay in Rome?

Thanks for the great input. Based on the reviews I've read and your feedback, I think I may try for Hotel Lancelot near the Colosseum.