We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Impromptu Trip to Rome - Suggestions, Please?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Impromptu Trip to Rome - Suggestions, Please?

Taking an impromptu trip to Rome this coming Wednesday. Hoping for some pointers.

I downloaded podcasts of almost every major site in case I couldn't book tours. Has anyone gone the podcast route?

I bought Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel tickets for a Saturday morning at 10:00 AM. Any idea on what time I should arrive?

I keep reading that the Colosseum is a must for tours, esp. the Underground. Do you think I'll be able to sign up for a tour upon arrival?

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Impromptu Trip to Rome - Suggestions, Please?

We used Rick Steves Free Audio Guides to his iPhone app for everything from St. Peters, the Pantheon, Roman Forum, Trastevere Neighborhood, etc.

You won't be able to get the colosseum underground tour by just showing up - that has to be booked in advance. But there will be people willing to jack up the price outside the colosseum and give you a tour if you want.

Or you could just use a free audio tour like RS and do it yourself. We did that at the Forum (had the underground tour reserved at the colosseum), and it was really a great tour there. No need to pay someone what you can hear for free - and he does a nice job explaining the layers of history you are looking at with buildings built on top of each other and some deconstructed to build others.

Good luck!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,810 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Impromptu Trip to Rome - Suggestions, Please?

You should try to book the colosseum underground tour before you leave. You may get lucky and find a spot. The number is 011 39 063 9967700. You don't really need to take a tour of the interior of the colosseum, especially if you take the underground tour. If you can't book the underground tour you can book a regular tour and entry tickets by calling the number above.

I like to do audio tours so I think you made a good decision downloading them. You might want to check out the ones on pocketvox to see if there are any itineraries you don't already have.

The guards will usually only let you in a few minutes before your ticket time so get there about 15 minutes early.

Donna

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Impromptu Trip to Rome - Suggestions, Please?

Thank you VTJedi and dbabe for your suggestions! Will definitely check out pocketvox for more audio guide selections.

4. Re: Impromptu Trip to Rome - Suggestions, Please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 11:20