We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains from Rome to pompeii

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Trains from Rome to pompeii

Hi

i am travelling to Rome with my husband and two children I am looking to go to Pompeii for the day and want advise on which is the best way

Also is it better to buy tickets before hand or on the day of travel?

If I'm buying before hand which website is recommended

Please advise as I am flying next week

Thanks

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,658 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains from Rome to pompeii

You can book your tickets through the official site:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

enter your cities, Rome and Naples, then the dates and change the time to see what's available. On the next page click the time you're interested in and click continue. The third page will show the mini fares if they are still available. This can save you up to 60% off the regular prices. Once in Naples you change to the commuter train, the circumvesuviana. You can buy this ticket once at the Naples train station. Just stamp that ticket before getting on the train.

Donna

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains from Rome to pompeii

Rather a lot of reading, I know, but do take the bother to go through this...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k43…

Not sure if he mentions it, but 12 is the cut-off age for children to get reduced fares!

Sadly, you're much too late for any of the big 60% Mini fare savings...

As an example, this is what's currently on offer for the early morning trains on July 22nd - no more than about 30% off the "Base" fare...

pbase.com/isolaverde/image/136356339/original

That's a screengrab from their Frecce website - which covers fast trains only. You have to use Italian names (Roma Termini, Napoli Centrale etc) but it's still much easier if hunting for discounts - start here:

www.fsitaliane.it/cms/v/index.jsp…

Whether or not to buy tickets in advance for your return to Rome is a more difficult decision, since it commits you to leaving Pompei at a particular time...

Think I'd personally prefer to wait, and pick from the available choice once back at the station in Naples - the service on that line is very frequent!

And lastly, for the only slightly difficult part of the journey - the change of lines in Naples - try at least the first few posts here...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k4054…

EDIT: Do shout if any of that doesn't make sense!

Peter

Edited: 12 July 2011, 16:29
London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains from Rome to pompeii

@ Donna thank you for your help

@Peter thank you this is a great help will be sure to give you a shout if I get stuck

Muskogee, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
79 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains from Rome to pompeii

One day- mid sept -hired driver- leaving from Rome down the Amalfi Coast

places to remember for a lifetime

any suggestions?

should we try to get clear to Pompeii?

Edited: 12 July 2011, 20:51
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains from Rome to pompeii

Pompeii is before Sorrento, then there is Positano, Amalfi and Ravello above.

Pompeii could take a day to see in it's entireity. We put in four hours and didn't see it all. Sorrento is a nice town, usually used as a base for tourists to see the Amalfi Coast. There is a car ferry ( foot passengers also) to Capri and Anacapri on the top if the Isle of Capri, which is pleasant but would take a lot of time.

Driving the Amalfi Coast is lovely from Sorrento and it is good you have a driver, as if one of you were driving you'd miss a lot...we took the bus and enjoyed it and a big WOW factor. Lot of backing up in places and not a lot of places to park to take photos of good views, especially when busy season. I did it all from the bus.

Positano is very steep, but popular.

Amalfi the town is very picturesque and then a short steep drive up to Rapallo a small village above gives you great views down over the villages further south.

Nice part of Italy.

I have reviews of all these places as mentioned above. Maybe on my second page.

Also have a Trip Wow of my slideshow of photos of the Amalfi Coast

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-00d0-7de0-b8f5…

6. Re: Trains from Rome to pompeii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 05:18