We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican Tours Icon or Context

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Vatican Tours Icon or Context

I want to book a Vatican Tour. I read a lot of positives about Context Tours. I also heard Icon Tours is suppose to be good. They are a lot cheaper. I was in contact with James of Icon Tours and he seemed very nice. I am not looking for a highly intellectual tour. I just want something interesting and fun. Anyone have experience with either or both?? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Level Contributor
2,852 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican Tours Icon or Context

Context Rome's tours are amazing! Don't let their prices to lead you to believe the guides are stuffy. Their guides are experts in their fields but also fun & friendly.

I have also heard good things about Icon Tours but have not had personal experience.

New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican Tours Icon or Context

Thanks Nicolas Inn. I think I will try them both. Maybe one for the Vatican and one for the Colloseum. I will give trip advisor my feedback when I come home from vacation.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatican Tours Icon or Context

Can you provide a web site for Context and Icon tours. I seem to be unable to find one. Going to Rome for a week in October and would like to look at some tours we can pre-book. Thanks.

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
579 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vatican Tours Icon or Context

http://rome.contexttravel.com/ for Context

http://www.icontours.com/ for Icon

New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vatican Tours Icon or Context

Just returned from Rome and took two Icon Tours. The first was for the Vatican. Mike, our tour guide spent 4 hours with us, but the tour was only suppose to be 2 1/2 hours. It was great. It only cost us 25 Euro per person. There were 10 people in our group. The next day most of us from the Vatican tour joined up for a Forum/Colloseum tour. We were given a 5 euro discount for taking another tour with them. There were only 8 of us on the tour and it was enjoyable. I highly recommend them.

Regards, Lisa

rome, italy
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vatican Tours Icon or Context

ICON ICON ICON and if you are at the vatican with them i recommend the D-man, or douglas, possibly the best tour guide in rome. but context is great too

New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vatican Tours Icon or Context

Wasn't in Douglas' group, but did hear great things about him. I had Mike, the Bondi beach boy!

rome, italy
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vatican Tours Icon or Context

HEAR HEAR mike is quite the tour guide as well, but like i said D-man is the powerhouse, mike actually has the best roman forum tour

New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vatican Tours Icon or Context

I was very, very sorry not to get Mike for the Forum/colloseum tour. And I am sure I would have loved Douglas too. Icon Tours is a great value for the money. I guess I will just have to go back to Rome (with my teenage daughters this time, they could use some culture) and start again! Maybe when I win the lottery. I just hope my husband doesn't start adding up what we spent on this vacation. I really don't want to know. Regards, Lisa

Connecticut
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vatican Tours Icon or Context

I was going to book with vaticanwalkingtours.com. Can anyone out there tell me if that company is good? I can book with Icon, also. Have an 11-yr-old with us, so we want a private or small grp tour. Thanks.