We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento to Rome? then to town of Fiumicino for our last nig

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Sorrento to Rome? then to town of Fiumicino for our last nig

We'll be leaving Sorrento by train the day before we fly out of Italy so we thought we would stay in the town of Fiumicino the night before our flight. Is there a rail line that would take us from the Rome terminal to Fiumicino? or would we have to take a bus? Thanks.

niagara
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento to Rome? then to town of Fiumicino for our last nig

Unless you have a reeeeaaaallly early flight home from FCO the next day, I'd recommend you stay the night in Rome's historic center instead of Fuimicino. You can get a very early cab for about 45 euros from Rome to the airport or take the train from termini to the airport. Staying in Rome your last night would be more magical than a hotel by the airport, IMO.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento to Rome? then to town of Fiumicino for our last nig

Thanks. Our flight leaves at 10:00 AM so it isn't all that early but Sorrento is the end of our 3 week Italian vacation & we will already have spent 3.5 days in Rome. We were just hoping to avoid any transportation mishaps on the way to the airport not necessarily to visit the town of Fiumicino.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,675 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento to Rome? then to town of Fiumicino for our last nig

Ron in Rome about staying near the airport

roninrome.com/transportation/getting-to-fium…

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrento to Rome? then to town of Fiumicino for our last nig

Wow, what a well written & informative site. I think we may have to talk this over with the other couple we're travelling with. Thanks.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento to Rome? then to town of Fiumicino for our last nig

I would be more worried about transportation mishaps from Fiumicino than from central Rome.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorrento to Rome? then to town of Fiumicino for our last nig

I'd agree with bvlenci - you might be surprised what a taxi from a hotel 5 minutes away from the airport will cost! But for those that want options, here's a posting on the top-ranked FCO Airport hotels and B&B's by venere.com and booking.com, Me, I'll be staying in Rome!

http://tinyurl.com/hotels-fco

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
995 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorrento to Rome? then to town of Fiumicino for our last nig

Wow! Ron in Rome has answered so many of my questions. Great articles on staying near FCO the night before a flight home to the States.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,675 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorrento to Rome? then to town of Fiumicino for our last nig

"you might be surprised what a taxi from a hotel 5 minutes away from the airport will cost! "

At Venere.com in the reviews of the Fiumicino lodging, this is exactly waht many of the people brought up. Becasue Fiumicino is outside3 the Aurelian Walls, ther was no legal limit on what taxis could charge. I read this review a while ago when I was trying to decide whtere tyo stye near the airport for one night for the purpose of meeting my daughter there the next day. I eventaully decided to stay in central Rome and take the Leonardo there the next day to meet her.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorrento to Rome? then to town of Fiumicino for our last nig

Thanks for all your responses... it's great information. We are still not 100% sure where to book. But my original question still remains unanswered. How would we get from the main termini in Rome to the town of Fiumicino? Would we take the train to the airport & then a shuttle or taxi to a hotel in Fiumicinco or is there a direct train line or bus route into Fiumicino from the center of Rome?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sorrento to Rome? then to town of Fiumicino for our last nig

And I should also ask this....

Is there a better way to get from Sorrento to Fiumicino than the two trains? Perhaps a bus or ??