We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing Mount Vesuvius in Summer

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Climbing Mount Vesuvius in Summer

Will it be too hot to climb Mt Vesuvius in the first week of July?Also, is it worth spending Euro 650 with a private tour operator or should we just take the train?

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Climbing Mount Vesuvius in Summer

My husband, son and I did the summit of Vesuvius and then Pompeii in June a few years ago. It was hot, but it wasn’t unbearable – we did find that the higher we got, the more breathless we felt. If you are going, do take plenty of water. Here’s how we got there …

We left Rome on a train at around 7:30 in the morning, arrived Naples 9:30. Took the Circumvesuviana train from Naples to Herculaneum, where we shared a minibus with several others who got off the train here as well (there are plenty of minibuses at the station - they just wait for the trains coming in). The minibus then took us to just below the summit of the volcano - you walk the rest of the way to the top. The bus driver waited and then took us back to Herculaneum station (we didn't have to pay the driver until we got back to the station). We then got on a train to Pompeii, which if I remember is only a few stops from Herculaneum. Had a quick lunch and then into the ruins where we stayed for three or four hours. Back on the train from Pompeii to Naples and thence back to Rome. Arrived around 22:00, tired but extremely happy. On the summit of Vesuvius we felt very insignificant - it is truly awe-inspiring.

If you have the opportunity to go, and really want to go, then I say – do it!!

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,083 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Climbing Mount Vesuvius in Summer

I was there the middle of Sept a couple of years ago, mid 80's and sunny. There's a couple of stops for souveniers, water, w/c's & shade, definately take water. The walk up was about 30 mins on gravel. The views were simply awesome.

As Chris says - if you have the opportunity.....really want to go, then....do it!

The fast train from Rome to Naples is 45 Euro about 70 mins, go downstairs to the regional Circumvesuvian train, less than 5 Euro if I remember correctly, to Ercolano Scavi, where the mini-bus is located just to the left upon exiting the station (12 Euro?), which included the entrance fee to Vesuvius.

You can get mini fares ahead of time, but you're locked to that date and time. There are also slower trains for less money. Look to your top right, there's Top Questions, the train is one of them.

Edited: 22 July 2011, 13:50
3. Re: Climbing Mount Vesuvius in Summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 22:17