We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonably priced Rooftop Restaurant?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonably priced Rooftop Restaurant?

Looking for a reasonably priced rooftop restaurant for romantic dinner in Rome for dinner with the hubby. Suggestions? Prix Fix preferred but not necessary...

TIA!

Erin

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,896 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonably priced Rooftop Restaurant?

"Reasonably priced" means different things to different people. How much are you hoping to spend, in euros?

Fixed-price menus are unusual in Italy. Most of those that exist are aimed at tourists and often not very good.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonably priced Rooftop Restaurant?

There are many rooftop restaurants in Rome - but as sidneynick points out "reasonably priced" can be quite subjective. Take a look at this posts which lists many of the rooftop "experiences" in Rome. I'm sure you'll find one that fits your budget: http://tinyurl.com/Rome-Rooftops

rome
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonably priced Rooftop Restaurant?

just to complete the information by Nick: In addition to the lower end prix-fix he mentioned, gourmet restaurants (michelin star level places) often do have fixed price tasting menus, that have nothing to do with tourists and are actually quite good, giving you an overview of many dishes of the chef (obviuosly smaller portions) for less of an amount of money than if you combined yourself, like a 6 course menu for 70 euros.

Aroma is a roof top restaurant, I don't find the food too good, but the views are unbeatable. Imago is more expensive and better.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,896 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonably priced Rooftop Restaurant?

Wine_Gal is, as usual, absolutely right. I had forgotten about the high-end degustation menus. But I am not sure that the OP would regard them as being "reasonably priced"!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonably priced Rooftop Restaurant?

Right, "reasonably" priced is hard to say for everyone. I will say that in general when it comes to dining places in Rome with a "view", whether it's a rooftop garden or in a famous Piazza like Navona, you are paying more for location than food. Also- just be sure to ask for the price of anything they suggest to you or you order...to avoid surprises on the bill after!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,251 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonably priced Rooftop Restaurant?

In a roof-top restaurant you are paying for the view. Most "reasonably-priced" restaurants have no view and little ambiance.

I have only seen this fixed price thing in Paris, not in Rome. in Rome the menus are posted, so you can decide whther to go in or not. All the restaurants I have benn to in Rome were the alla carte thing where you order courses separately. Often my daughter and I share a course to get more of them in.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonably priced Rooftop Restaurant?

You can take a look at some of these, saw this link a while back: rooftoprestaurants.com/rooftop-bars-restaura…

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonably priced Rooftop Restaurant?

In a low-rise city like Rome, almost any such view will command a premium. We used to enjoy the lovely roof terrace bar and restaurant at the Hotel Forum, but the price has moved up somewhat (and the pound downwards, a lot!) since those days....

http://www.hotelforumrome.com/

Their LUNCH menu is here...

www.hotelforumrome.com/roofgardenmenu.htm

If you don't find one you like, perhaps a picnic up on the Janiculum - or an aperito there at dusk, before taxiing down?

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/rome_roma

Peter

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonably priced Rooftop Restaurant?

Thanks for the info ya'll! Looks like maybe we'll enjoy a drink or lunch with a view instead!! Our hotel is actually on the lists ya'll posted for it's rooftop view for breakfast, so that's good!

Thanks again!

Erin

10. Re: Reasonably priced Rooftop Restaurant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 23:19