We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant for 40th but near a bar for football!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant for 40th but near a bar for football!

Hi, we are staying in Rome in August (3-6) and it is my husbands 40th birthday on the 5th Aug. I am looking for a nice authentic restaurant but... Manchester United are playing that night and he wants to be able to watch the match especially as it's Paul Scholes testimonial! So we will need a bar nearby where we can watch the football! I dont mind if we sit inside or out and whilst not wanting to pay a fortune, want it to be a nice meal in a nice atmosphere. We are staying at the Waldorf Cavalieri and will be getting the hotel shuttle into the centre so not tied to any areas as we will just get taxi back (whilst I would love to eat in the hotel restaurant my budget does not stretch to their prices!) Any suggestions will be most appreciated :)

rome
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant for 40th but near a bar for football!

the game starts 19:30 british time, which is 20:30 italian time. You can't eat before that in a nice restaurant, you can't eat after that either. I suggest having the nice meal at lunch time and just go to a bar to watch the game in the evening.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant for 40th but near a bar for football!

Hi, thanks for the reply. I was kind of thinking that may be the case. We have access to the Imperial lounge at the Cavalieri so it may be best to have a nice lunch, relax in the lounge witha few drinks/snacks early evening then get the 19:30 shuttle into Rome to find a bar to watch the football, and have a few drinks after. Any suggestions for nice areas to try that will have bars showing the football? Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant for 40th but near a bar for football!

http://www.finneganpub.com/

rome
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant for 40th but near a bar for football!

I am sure Abbey theater will be showing the game as well.

United States
Level Contributor
449 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant for 40th but near a bar for football!

I second Abbey Theatre.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant for 40th but near a bar for football!

There's also a lot of place in Campo Dei Fiori that I'm sure will all be showing the match.

Also- Scholars Lounge, and possibly an American Football sports bar called La Botticella near Piazza Navona. I don;t think it will be hard to find a plce to watch the game, but it might be hard to get a spot to sit let alone eat if you don't get there well before!

7. Re: Restaurant for 40th but near a bar for football!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 14:18