We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Pick-Up Location

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rental Car Pick-Up Location

Hello,

We're in the midst of planning our Italy vacation for the fall. On the itinerary is to pick up a rental car in Rome, drive to Tuscany and base ourselves there for six days, then drop off the rental car in Florence.

Doing our rental car research (comparing Hertz and AutoEurope websites), we're currently thinking of picking up our rental car at the Villa Borghese location. Note, we're staying in the Pantheon area while in Rome.

Does that seem to be a reasonable pick-up location or is there a better one? We wanted to avoid the additional fees when picking up a rental car at an airport and it seemed like the Villa Borghese location has easy access to get out of the city.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you so much!

UK
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rental Car Pick-Up Location

We booked our first "out of Rome" rental this year with Avis in Orvieto.. It suited our purpose but would agree the opening hours/days are not as flexible as FCO (it is what we Brits would call a one man and a dog operation). Our request for a specific car was met and paid for via their UK call center in Ireland (a Fiat Punto diesel). Cars were provided by SACAR in Citta della Piave http://www.automobilisacar.it/azienda.htm

CT
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Rental Car Pick-Up Location

If I am staying in Montepulciano area for a week, does it make more sense for me to drop my car off in Lucca or La Spezia, as then we will want to catch a train and head to Cinque Terre. Both locations have drop off sites for the car rental. It seems like La Spezia might be the better choice...I am correct???

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
78 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rental Car Pick-Up Location

A few years back I rented from AutoEurope out of Milan and found that if I booked through the UK site, it was a lot cheaper than booking through the American site.

Not sure if this still holds true, but I certainly found it interesting at the time. I am getting ready to book out of Rome with same itineraries as a lot of other posters...>Rome to Tuscany, back to Rome for one night.

14. Re: Rental Car Pick-Up Location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 07:17