We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meeting passengers on arrival at Rome FCO

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Meeting passengers on arrival at Rome FCO

Hello

We are meeting friends at FCO who are arriving on a Continental flight from the USA. We will already be in Rome. We told them we would meet them at the baggage claim carrousel for the continental flight but then realized that maybe it is in a secured area and we could not get access to it. Where should we tell our friends to meet us? Can we get to the carrousel?

They have never been to Europe so it might be a bit intimidating. I would like to keep it very simple with minimal amount of walking.

Thanks

Bob

United States
Level Contributor
9,739 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meeting passengers on arrival at Rome FCO

Ron in Rome has a wonderful article about your options. Check out his website.

roninrome.com/%20transportation/where-to-mee…

TAB

NY
Level Contributor
3,658 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meeting passengers on arrival at Rome FCO

Baggage claim is in secure area, well kind of secure but you can't go in there because it is just before the exit customs also.

The doors exiting from the baggage claim is where you can meet them, you will see a lot of people standing around waiting for other passengers. As I recall there might be more than one exit door, so see if you can see them all, or split up to cover the doors. You could also pick another place, likely in Terminal 3, but then they would have to find it.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

NY
Level Contributor
3,658 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meeting passengers on arrival at Rome FCO

The Ron in Rome link is good, and while I love his suggestions most of the time, I would not arrange to meet someone at the FCO train station if it is their first visit. His alternative public meeing place he describes so well in the link is the same as outside the exit doors I suggested

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meeting passengers on arrival at Rome FCO

Hello,

Thank you very much. The train station suggest by Ron won't work for us since after we meet our friends, we are walking to get our rental car. So we will wait for our friends outside of the baggage claim doors.

That leads to another question. How do we get to the rental car depot?

Thanks for your help

Bob

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,689 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meeting passengers on arrival at Rome FCO

LOL The rental car depot is just past that train station you are being advised not to meet them at.

I agree that the best spot to meet them is at the exit from customs which is just past where they pick up their luggage. It is really obvious and there will be huge crowds of folks waiting.

We met my totally clueless mother there with no problem (except she got lost and confused trying to find her luggage and didn't emerge for an hour after everyone else from her flight had long left the airport) we were a tad panicked since we couldn't go into the luggage area to fine or assist her and there was no one to assist us. BUT when she did finally emerge, it was an easy spot to find her as everyone funnels through the same area.

The whole point is to not require THEM to do anything -- and thus a meeting spot elsewhere just complicates things and adds to the possibility of misses.

Edited: 30 July 2011, 20:21
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meeting passengers on arrival at Rome FCO

I agree fully. I sent them an except from Ron's document that shows the arrival gate, terminal, the non EU sign for customs and the carrousels.

We meet them every year in Aruba and the process is similar.

Again, much appreciated.

Bob

7. Re: Meeting passengers on arrival at Rome FCO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 18:16