We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domus Aurea and the home of Augustus

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
123 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Domus Aurea and the home of Augustus

Hello-

My question is are these 2 places still open to tour and is it best to find a private tour group to get into these places or is this something I can do myself

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Domus Aurea and the home of Augustus

The Domus Aurea is closed, to everyone. The Casa di Augusto has official opening hours that may or may not always be honoured in practice:

060608.it/en/cultura-e-svago/beni-culturali/…

Edited: 02 August 2011, 15:33
Boston
Level Contributor
123 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Domus Aurea and the home of Augustus

Does the Casa Di Augusto access included in the Palatine Hill ticket or is this a special tour/ticket

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Domus Aurea and the home of Augustus

It's included in the combo Forum/Palatine/Colosseum ticket.

Boston
Level Contributor
123 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Domus Aurea and the home of Augustus

I found a combo that you can print right rom home at www.pierreci.it for 13.50 euro per ticket

my question is these tickets all you to skip lines but it won't take you to the third tier or underground of the colosseum. It seems you can't pre-order well in advance though..something to do just before I leave.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
298 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Domus Aurea and the home of Augustus

I know that the Domus Aurea is closed, but is there any word on when it will reopen to the public? I remember about a year ago it was supposed to reopen in 2011, but the year is slipping away....

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
428 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Domus Aurea and the home of Augustus

Had a look {I always do...} when I was in Rome in April. There seemed to be no change from the situation last year {I swear that the same bits of scaffolding were still lying around in the same places!}. However I'm the eternal optimist and will check the site again when I'm back in Rome in two weeks. I'll report any news {!} here when I get back.home. I wouldn't hold your breath, though.

Edited: 07 September 2011, 11:49
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,840 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Domus Aurea and the home of Augustus

RWills, The entry tickets to the colosseum, forum and palatine hill do not include admission to the tour of the underground and third level of the colosseum. That is a tour that must be booked separately. You can do this by calling

011 39 0639967700

For some reason they are not available online. They are only booking a few weeks ahead of time so if you want the tour you'll have to wait until they open up for your dates.

Donna

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Domus Aurea and the home of Augustus

Love to know which expert offered the "supposed to reopen in 2011" advice - or was it only this newspaper article's speculation...

…corriere.it/roma/notizie/cronaca/10_marzo_3…

Pictures from when we were fortunate enough to get in, during 2000, here...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/domus

Peter

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,109 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Domus Aurea and the home of Augustus

Thanks for those pics Peter. I too was lucky to see it back then and didn't take my camera with me. I am so glad I didn't miss it. There were only about 15 people in my reserved time that day so it was especially nice to see it with so few people.

Nice to see your lovely photos as a reminder of how amazing it is.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Domus Aurea and the home of Augustus

In another article, Corriere della Sera did quote Umberto Broccoli, who said the Domus Aurea would reopen in 2011:

…corriere.it/roma/…