We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Continuing train problems because of fire in Tiburtina

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Continuing train problems because of fire in Tiburtina

Train update

I've been traveling back and forth by train to Rome quite often this summer. As I reported earlier, there was a large fire in Rome's Tiburtina station a few weeks ago that created great problems for trains heading north from Rome.

Now, Trenitalia has published a list of all the deviations and suppressions through August 21st:

www.fsnews.it/cms/v/index.jsp…

This information is not available on the English language page. However, it's easy to summarize the general situation.

All of the high-speed trains (AV or Alta Velocità, Frecciarossa, Frecciargenta) are running normally. Trenitalia always gives first precedence to these trains, even though on many lines there are none, and people who use those lines are out of luck.

Eurostar (ES) trains on the Ancona line, which is used not only for Le Marche, but also for trips to various places in Umbria, such as Perugia, Assisi, and Spoleto, are the worst affected. Most of them are either suppressed entirely or travel only between Orte and the final destination. Any train that's on this line that says, "soppresso da Roma Tni a Orte" or "soppresso da Orte a Roma Tni" should be avoided.

It seems as though they've removed most of these trains from the timetable page now. If they had done so last week, we could have avoided the terrible trip we had by taking a regional train.

The regional trains on the route are all traveling normally, except that they don't stop in Tiburtina station. Another option, for those who want a reserved seat, is the one train in each direction that goes nonstop between Rome and Ravenna, and which follows the Ancona line between Rome and the Adriatic coast. These trains are:

Number 9325 arriving in Rome at 10:24

Number 9332 leaving Rome at 17:27

You can easily find this train on the schedule page if you search for a trip on your desired route. It doesn't make many stops, so you may have to change trains somewhere, but at least it will be spelled out accurately on the timetable page.

http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

Other trains that are seriously affected are the Intercity trains between Rome and Florence, which are almost all completely suppressed. However, I don't think many people use these; most people prefer the AV trains on this route.

Finally, trains that go between northern Italy and southern Italy, passing through Rome, are mostly rerouted to bypass Rome Termini. This would only affect people who were planning to use these trains to go to Rome, or who were planning to catch them in Rome. In every case, the trains stop at a different station in Rome, such as Tuscolana, which can be reached by taxi, bus, or a regional train.

People who haven't bought their tickets yet shouldn't have many problems, now that the website has been updated, at least through August 21st. I would hold off on buying tickets for after that date until the situation has been clarified. People who have already bought tickets online, perhaps to take advantage of the Mini fares, may have a problem. As I've warned before, Mini tickets are very restricted as far as changes and refunds. I tried yesterday to exchange a Mini ticket and wasn't able to because it was already the day of travel. I could have changed it up to midnight the day before, but I would have had to pay a penalty that would have been more than the original savings.

I myself, although I consider myself a bit of an expert on trains, had a hellish trip to Rome this past Saturday, for a total lack of information about the service, either on the web site of Trenitalia or at the station where I boarded the train. I bought a ticket online from Jesi to Rome, thinking it was going to proceed normally to Rome, because the week before, when the trains weren't going the whole way, they weren't selling the tickets online at all. Also, the information about trains that were partially or completely cancelled only went through July 31st, and the website said that things were "returning to normal". I was ingenuous enough to believe that all these things indicated a normal trip to Rome. Also, at the station the train was announced as going all the way to Rome. Only when we were already on the train were we told that the train went only to Orte (about an hour from Rome) and that we would have to take another train from there to Rome.

Orte station is small and there is no ticket window open much of the time. There were thousands of passengers there, dumped by various trains going to or from Rome. We had to go to the track for the ongoing train by using an underpass, dragging two suitcases (one quite large) down and up several flights of stairs with a small child whose hand had to be held because of the overcrowded situation. We had to wait an hour on the platform under the sun, packed with other passengers and their luggage. (Fortunately, it wasn't excessively hot that day, because the little shade and every available place to sit were already claimed.)

The ongoing train, when it arrived, was packed to the gills. It was an Intercity train, with cabins and a narrow corridor. The corridor was so full of suitcases and standing passengers that you couldn't even pass. Someone gave up his seat so that one of us could sit and hold the child. The temperature in the train was almost unbearable, because of the overcrowding, although it wasn't a very hot day and the air conditioning was on.

The thing that really made me angry is that there were regional trains going all the way to Rome from Jesi that we could have taken. We chose the Eurostar because the time was convenient. The regional train, although it takes longer, would have been even quicker because of the hour's layover in Orte.

I noticed that there were lots of railroad policemen in Orte station, and there were also policemen on the train. I suspect that they were afraid that angry passengers might cause a riot. About a week ago, angry passengers forced a train to stop somewhere by blocking the track, and forced their way on the train. It would have been much better, instead of putting extra police on duty, to have announced at the station that the Eurostar trains going to Rome were not going all the way and to have offered the alternative of taking a regional train. However, the regional trains would surely have been overwhelmed by the number of additional passengers.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Continuing train problems because of fire in Tiburtina

I didn't mention another solution for people traveling between Rome and Umbria or Le Marche. There are buses from Rome to many of the larger towns in Umbria and Le Marche, leaving from Tiburtina bus station, which wasn't affected by the fire. The buses are comfortable and air conditioned, and luggage is stored under the bus. The only problem is that some of the route may be on mountain roads, which can be a problem if you suffer from motion sickness.

It's often difficult to find information about these buses, as there are many different companies and no central timetables. Most of the lines run only one or two buses a day in each direction. The most common arrangement is that they have an early morning bus to Rome and a late afternoon bus back from Rome. Some of the buses stop at Tiburtina and also make a stop at Fiumicino airport. Service may be scarce or nonexistent on Sundays and holidays.

If you go to the TA forum for your destination and search for "bus Rome", you may find information. Otherwise, post a question in the forum.

As I'm the DE for Le Marche, I can report that there's a bus between Pesaro and Rome Tiburtina, stopping in Cagli,Urbino, run by Adriabus Bucci. All of the buses stop in Cagli, but sometimes you have to change there for Urbino or Fano. Some of the buses to Fano also go on to Pesaro.

Here is the schedule:

http://www.amibus.it/viewdoc.asp?CO_ID=4299

You can enter your date and the destination, or you can see the more or less complete schedule at the bottom of the page.

Edinburgh, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Continuing train problems because of fire in Tiburtina

Hi, I am due to travel form Venice to Rome on 19/8/11. I have already booked my tickets using the MINI fare a few weeks ago before any of the problems started. Should I be OK travelling on this service? The train I am booked on is the 10.27 from Venice, number 9409 FRECCIARGENTO service.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,005 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Continuing train problems because of fire in Tiburtina

Tomo816:

See the fourth paragraph of the original post: "All of the high-speed trains (AV or Alta Velocità, Frecciarossa, Frecciargenta) are running normally."

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Continuing train problems because of fire in Tiburtina

Yes, and I'll repeat (for all those who don't read beyond the first few sentences) that the major problems are for those traveling to or from Umbria or Le Marche on the Ancona line, which has no AV trains at all.

Maryland
Level Contributor
587 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Continuing train problems because of fire in Tiburtina

OK. So I guess the regional train from Tiburtina to Tivoli is not running. Does that mean that the only way to reach Tivoli by public transportation is metro B to Ponte Mammolo, then Cotral bus, or is there any other train route?

Are the Cotral buses extra crowded now because of the absence of the train?

Edinburgh, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Continuing train problems because of fire in Tiburtina

Thanks for your replies. I read that at the start but then confused myself with reading all other infomration.

Thanks again

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Continuing train problems because of fire in Tiburtina

As I understand there is no train running between FCO airport and Tirbutina? Any suggestions on a bus or other route? Our hotel is located near metrostop of bologna! Many thanks

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Continuing train problems because of fire in Tiburtina

Regional trains are still running to Tivoli, but not departing from Tiburtina. Some depart from Termini and others from Prenestina, the next stop on the Tivoli line after Tiburtina:

www.fsnews.it/cms/v/index.jsp…

You can run the above page through translate.google.com but it doesn't say which or even what percentage of trains depart from Termini. Termini would be more convenient for most people. You can reach Prenestina by the 213 bus.

pa
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Continuing train problems because of fire in Tiburtina

On Sept 9 I need to travel from Orvieto to FCO for my trip home. I am staying overnight in Fiumicino. What is the best way to get from Orvieto to Fiumicino?

Thank you.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Continuing train problems because of fire in Tiburtina

The trains from Orvieto to Rome are mostly regional trains, and should be running fairly normally, although there may be some delays related to the limited number of tracks as they pass through Tiburtina. They probably don't stop in Tiburtina, but there's no information about that on the Trenitalia site. In fact, there's almost no information about the effect of the fire on service on regional trains.

You basically have several options, not much different from your options before the fire.

1) take a train to Termini and change to the Leonardo Express. This entails a rather long walk, but no steps.

2) take a train to Orte and change to the FR1 airport train, which runs about once an hour from Orte. This entails carrying your luggage down steps to the underpass and up steps to the track where the airport train departs.

In any case, there's no need to make arrangements before the day of travel, as regional trains have no reservations. If you miss the connection you were planning to make, you can use the tickets on a different train. Tickets have to be stamped in a little yellow machine at the track before you board the train. I would allow a little extra time, but there were no major delays on regional trains the days I was in Termini recently.