We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with train

Mansfield, Texas
Level Contributor
106 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with train

My wife and I would like to travel from Rome to Orvieto by train.I went to the trenitalia website and some journeys show two trains which are designated either IC or REGIONAL VELOC. Are these different types of trains or what? Also if I decide to purchase the tickets at the station do I just go to the teller and ask for a roundtrip ticket from Rome to Orvieto or what? Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,261 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with train

IC trains are medium-speed trains which have seat reservations. Regionale trains are slower (but cheaper) trains that have no seat reservations. You decide your balance between time and cost.

I suggest that you print out the relevant information from the Trenitalia web site, so you can point and indicate which trains you want.

There are no return tickets in Italy: you buy two one-way tickets.

UK
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with train

We bought our IC train tickets to Orvieto at Rome Termini station on the morning of departure from an automatic machine alongside our platform. The alternative would have been to wait in an hour long queue to purchase from a teller. The instructions are clear and easy to follow.

3. Re: Need help with train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 17:15