We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Additional Suggestions for Itinerary

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Additional Suggestions for Itinerary

Hi

Looking for some additional ideas for my forthcoming trip to Rome at the end of September. So far I have the following:

Tuesday 27th - Arrive at hotel 10pm either go for a light dinner

or if tired have early night to save energy for next day

Wednesday 28th - Colloseum/Forum late morning/early afternoon

Free Rome Tour from Spanish Steps 530pm

Nightime??

Thursday 29th - Vatican Necropolis Tour 11-130pm

Castle St Angelo afternoon

Night time Dinner then strole about taking in

sights ie Piazza Navona/Trevi Foutain etc

Friday 30th - Galleria/Villa Borghese late morning/early afternoon

taking in the Museum and the park

Vatican at Night tour 7pm then dinner and explore

this area

Saturday 1st - Free day to explore

Taxi to airport 7pm

Looking to visit other things like Pantheon and Cappuchin crypt so will fit these into days as they come as although we have a plan it will be nice just to play it by ear and enjoy this amazing city.

Our hotel is in the Parioli district very close to Villa Borghese and I was wondering if the park is open all night and if so is ok to walk through on our way out in the evening? We both enjoy walking around taking in the sights and I thought this might be a nice romantic thing to do at night.

I am coming with my boyfriend, we are both 37 so looking for ideas from like minded people on things to do at night and suggestions on where to go

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have and I look forward to reading them

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Additional Suggestions for Itinerary

Hi,

You've done some good research! Keep in mind that your ticket for the Colosseum and Forum is also good for the Palatine Hill.

I'm not sure I'd recommend the Vatican area for dinner and exploration but a short cab ride to nearby & vibrant Trastevere will be worthwhile and offer lots of dining options.

The pedestrian walk that links Navona, Pantheon and Trevi is something you'll want to check out during the day (Pantheon closes at 7:30 pm M-Sat) and at night when the monuments are lit up in all their glory.

The crypts of the Capuchin are well worth a visit and located down Via Veneto from where you'll be staying. Like most churches, the hours can be a little sporadic so double check here:

cappucciniviaveneto.it/cappuccini_ing.html

I'm not sure that night time walks in Villa Borghese would be on my list. I would ask your hotel clerk if this is currently a good idea. While Rome is generally very safe from violent crime, the park may be a bit deserted at night.

You'll need to budget for cab rides to return you to your hotel when your feet give out :-) Here's a link for more information:

slowtrav.com/italy/…taxis.htm

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,739 posts
584 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Additional Suggestions for Itinerary

The park is open all night (otherwise it couldn't be crossed by the bus n1), but I don't think it is a great idea to walk. In the late evening (10pm-11pm) maybe, but not later.

Another idea for sightseeing in your area is the Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna, if you are just a bit interested in art of the 19th-20th centuries. I can't explain why the Musée d'Orsay in Paris, the Tate Gallery in London and the Reina Sofia in Madrid are regarded as "must-sees" in the respective cities and so few people take into any account their counterpart in Rome.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Additional Suggestions for Itinerary

thanks for the advice. although I have been to Rome before I have never been to Trastavere but will definately check it out as I wasn't sure about the Vatican area at night as I have only ever been during the day. any ideas for the saturday? are there any markets or different things we could check out on our last day?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Additional Suggestions for Itinerary

oh that sounds good as my boyfriend studied art in Paris and Musee d'Orsay is his favourite museum. i couldn't believe it when he told me he had never been to Rome so this is my chance to show him this amazing city and hopefully he'll love it as much as I do :)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Additional Suggestions for Itinerary

Campo dei Fiori is a good option for a market on Saturday... they close up around 1 pm so get there early.

Edited: 14 August 2011, 15:29
6. Re: Additional Suggestions for Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 05:18