We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Detroit to Rome rates?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toledo, Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Trip Detroit to Rome rates?

I was wondering if anyone has ever found tickets for the above locations for $700, I see a lot of advertising for $700 or less round trip,but never actually found it available anywhere at least not spring or summer. Planning a trip for May 2012 but not at the going rates.Any suggestions as to which reputable site may offer best deals? Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Detroit to Rome rates?

Doubt you will see such low prices for Spring or Summer.

You can check at Kayak.com. Put in your desired dates, etc and it will show the different airlines and their prices. I used to find some deals some years ago using air travel booking sites but have been finding best rates on an airline's own website since then.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,504 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Detroit to Rome rates?

I think the lowest I've gotten to Europe in the last few years is about $900. In the summer, I expect to pay $1200-$1500. I find London and Paris to be cheaper than Rome, but that's usually from Chicago (flying in from a regional airport).

I often use kayak for an idea of prices but then book from the airlines' websites. Kayak will send you a fare alert if the fare goes down. I think you can put in what you want it to be, but I haven't done that for awhile so I don't recall the details.

We paid $1162 in April 2011 from our home airport, connecting in Chicago and then direct to Rome. I booked in Dec for April and never saw the flights go lower than that. Sometimes you can get cheaper flights if you make a bunch of connections, but I don't think that's worth it.

Toledo, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Detroit to Rome rates?

Thank you both for the reply. I will follow the advise,purchase tickets 4-5 months in advance and hopefuly get a good deal. I used to fly same route back in the 90s for $650 with a charter company out of Detroit but unfortunatelly the owner retired ....

Thank you again and enjoy whats left of Summer!!

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
937 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Detroit to Rome rates?

I flew Cleveland to Rome in May 2010 for $750 (my daughter flew DC to Rome for $650). We are going again this year in early October - we paid $852/ticket and I thought that was pretty good - connect thru JFK.

Edited: 15 August 2011, 12:33
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Detroit to Rome rates?

Mom83: which airline(s)?

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
937 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Detroit to Rome rates?

Hmm. Trying to remember who we flew last year. For some reason, I am thinking it was United. This year it is Delta. Bought our tickets last December.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
937 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Detroit to Rome rates?

Just checked - it was United in May 2010. I connected in DC and we flew nonstop to Rome from there. I am a firm believer in looking for airfares early and, if you find a good fare, snap it up. I know others like to wait until later, but I have never had good luck with that in recent years.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,384 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Detroit to Rome rates?

My daughter used to fly out of Detroit when she was in college for spring break. Her round trip ticket in Feb was often in the $700 range for Rome.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,091 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Detroit to Rome rates?

we used to routinely fly from Nashville to Europe for around 500$ -- that was then

last year we flew Chicago to Amsterdam for 1100 and this year we are flying into Rome and out of Amsterdam for 1250 (although we did get one ticket with credit card points) -- I could have booked something closer to 1000$ with stops but we now fly direct if we can and the tickets in the 900-1000 range required idiotic stops (e.g. flying from Chicago through Poland - 24 hours in transit)

I thought the 1250 was way too much but having tracked it for awhile and missed 1150 finally bought a few weeks ago -- the same flight (only one that does what we want) is now 1650 and has been for the last couple of weeks. we are flying September-December.

our next trip will be based on 'deals' rather than schedule but if you have a particular time frame, I think you track then jump when it seems as good as it is going to get and don't look back

Waterbury...
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Detroit to Rome rates?

Paid $820.00 ea. round trip out of JFK for a direct flight with Delta less than a year ago. Seems like a lifetime ago as the same flight today is about $1300.00. Lets hope fuel prices come back down to more reasonable levels. Not exactly holding my breath though...