We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Passetto di Borgo (Castel Sant' Angelo)t?

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Visit Passetto di Borgo (Castel Sant' Angelo)t?

Hello,

Me and my partner would like to visit Passetto di Borgo on Tuesday (30th August). I read at www.060608.it that it could be visited with or without a guide Tuesday to Sunday. The Italian version says that the opening hours are 20.30 to 00.30 060608.it/it/eventi-e-spettacoli/visite-guid…

The English version says 8.30 am to 11.30 am. 060608.it/en/…il-passetto-di-borgo.html

1. Does anyone know which are the correct opening hours and especially for August?

2. The Italian verson says that on 30th August entrance will be free?

3. Is it possible to visit Castel Sant' Angelo and then later in the day visit Passetto di Borgo or do we need to visit them at the same time?

4. Do we need to book the visit to the Passetto di Borgo?

I will be very grateful if someone can clarify these issues as there is not much info about Passetto di Borgo on the web. Thank you!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,503 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit Passetto di Borgo (Castel Sant' Angelo)t?

Actually, it says there are only guided tours on Tues and Sunday and that you can do do self guided tours as below (from the website you included):

July 1 - September 4, 2011

Open from Tuesday to Sunday, upon purchase of the Castel Sant'Angelo admission ticket:

- Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday: self guided tours from 8.30 am to 11.30 am

- Tuesday and Sunday: only guided tours.

So, unless I am misreading your post, you will not be able to do this without a guide on a Tuesday.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit Passetto di Borgo (Castel Sant' Angelo)t?

1. Both times are correct. The night visits are special events that happen during this period (but not on Mondays).

2. Yes. It's free on August 30th from 7-11 pm (last entry at 10:30)

3. I don't know if it's possible, but the Passetto di Borgo is only accessible through the Castel Sant'Angelo. You should visit them at the same time.

4. Only if you want a guide. The hours for guides aren't exactly clear on the site (it says Mon-Fri: 10-18 / Sat-Sun: 15-18), so you should call if you're interested.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit Passetto di Borgo (Castel Sant' Angelo)t?

Thank you guys for your prompt responses. I also emailed 060608.it and they emailed me back saying that there had been a mistake on their English link. Now they have updated the information. Here is the updated information 060608.it/en/eventi-e-spettacoli/visite-guid…

According to the updated information "Both self-guided and staff led tours are available" Tuesday to Sunday. The link doesn't say anymore that on Tuesday and Sunday there are only guided tours. So, I guess we can visit Passetto on Tuesday night without a guide but stll not sure...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,503 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit Passetto di Borgo (Castel Sant' Angelo)t?

Let us know how it goes. I love that Castel Sant'Angelo but haven't done the Passetto and it sounds interesting.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit Passetto di Borgo (Castel Sant' Angelo)t?

In Italian it says you can visit at night with or without a guide, but you have to book the guide in advance.

(It doesn't specify if guides are available on the free entry night.)

I've been without a guide, and I think it would be much more interesting with!

Edited: 18 August 2011, 16:39
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit Passetto di Borgo (Castel Sant' Angelo)t?

I've just received an email from 060608.it saying that only self guided tours are available on the free night. That works fine for us as we usually prefer to see things on our own. I'll share our expirience when I come back! Thank you guys again for your help and comments!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit Passetto di Borgo (Castel Sant' Angelo)t?

Hi guys,

I am posting this comment quite late. It’s been a month and a half since my trip to Rome. I’ve been meaning to share my experience with Passetto di Borgo earlier…I hope that sharing my impressions will help others decide whether to visit it or not. Me and my partner visited Castel Sant Angelo on 30th August when there was free entrance. I contacted the official tourist website of Rome in advance and they assured me that Passetto di Borgo would be working on that day. However, when we went there on the 30th the castle was open but the Passetto was closed and we were quite disappointed. I wanted to see it so much that we went to Castel Sant Angelo again the next night when the entrance wasn’t free anymore. I must say – what a disappointment! I thought that we would be able to go all the way to the Vatican and see the exact spot where the Passetto ends. This was the main reason I wanted to visit it. But it turned out that only part of it was opened. After reaching half way the Passetto people just come back to the castle. So, we visited the castle twice and the Passetto di Borgo only half way once.

MichaelRentalinRome - you mentioned that you have visited it. Was it like that then or were you able to go all the way to the Vatican?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit Passetto di Borgo (Castel Sant' Angelo)t?

Yes, I'm so sorry! That's part of why I said it would probably be much more interesting with a guide. It's more or less just a tunnel, but I thought the stories of how it was used would be fascinating. We didn't go into specifics, so I'm sorry you weren't aware in advance.

If it makes you feel any better, I doubt it gets any more interesting as it nears the Vatican.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit Passetto di Borgo (Castel Sant' Angelo)t?

We did this tour the last night it was open, 4 September, and like you, were hugely disappointed. First of all, and I know no-one can help the weather, the rain was lashing down, the first real rain that Rome had had in weeks - trust our luck!!! Secondly, there were far too many people in our tour, and far too many tours! We were on the English one, but couldn't get anywhere near our guide to hear what she was saying. We actually ended up losing her and finished the tour on our own. We've done it now - one to cross off the list!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visit Passetto di Borgo (Castel Sant' Angelo)t?

Hi guys,

Thanks for your answers and comments. Although I am disappointed that I didn’t see the whole corridor I am glad that I had the chance to visit it at all. Otherwise, I would be wondering what it would be…It will be nice though if they open the whole thing for future visits and other travelers.

Michael, do you live in Rome? I am trying to find out where the Chapel of St. Sylvester (Cappella San Silvestro) is. I was researching about Sancta Sanctorum (the chapel on top of the Holy Stairs) and www.060608.it website says that Sancta Sanctorum could be visited together with the Chapel of St. Sylvester for 5 euros.

When we visited the Holy Stairs in August, we visited the church above them which was a common church. We didn’t see any ticket offices there or entrances to special chapels. There was something behind a glass. So, I guess this thing behind the glass should have been Sancta Sanctorum. But what about the church that we saw on top of the stairs? It was free, so I guess it’s not the Chapel of St. Sylvester. I got totally confused. If you have an idea about these chapels I will be very grateful if you can clarify things for me. Which one exactly is the chapel of Sancta Sanctorum, which one is the Chapel of St. Sylvester and what’s the name of the church above the stairs? Too many questions I am afraid…

Many thanks in advance!