We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rentalinrome.com

england
Level Contributor
11 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
rentalinrome.com

If you look through this forum carefully and Google rentalinrome.com you will find mixed reviews. This may be fair enough when it comes to assessing decor, location, amenities in apartments, etc. Different people will have different views.

However, what you should take careful note of is the experience of reviewers who have been ripped off. Unfortunately for me I only discovered that my experience with rentalinrome.com was not untypical, after the event. Had I done a bit of basic research I would not have gone near them.

We booked a 2 bedroom apartment and paid a deposit of 136 Euros. About a week before we were due to make our trip we were emailed by rentalinrome and informed that there had been 'extensive damage' to the apartment that we had booked. We were offered inferior one bedroom apartments nowhere near where we wanted to stay. (Again a bit of Google research will tell you that this is a not uncommon scam.) When I emailed pointing out that we needed two bedrooms as neither my wife and I nor my 83 year old father, who was travelling with us, fancied sleeping on a sofa bed I received the following reply:

'Dear Peter,

Unfortunately my research has proven to be unsuccessful, and I found no apartment available on the requested dates in the Colosseum area so If you are not interested in the options I have sent you the only thing I can do is to refound your money.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards

F******* G********' (name deleted to comply with Tripadvisor regs.)

Despite numerous emails and telephone calls the deposit was never refunded. This cynical outfit even made me go through the farce of filling in an online refund form.

I rather naively gave rentalinrome one last chance to do the decent thing and give me my money back before I posted this. However they have long since stopped replying to my emails.

The moral is this: rentalinrome may have 99 satisfied customers, but if just one customer has had money effectivey stolen from them what should you make of such an outfit? Should you take a chance and trust them? There are plenty of rental agencies in Rome. Do your research and go with one which has no history ripping its clients money off.

Mentioned in this post
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,416 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,603 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: rentalinrome.com

You have posted this twice. You should remove one of them.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rentalinrome.com

Dear Friend:

I appreciate your concern, your anguish, and your displeasure.

Like you, I did not check prior reputations and had a similiar situation occur with this agency.

Did you pay wtih a credit card? Have you contacted your credit card company? I mentioned it earlier this week, but paypal does not get involved with anything that is not an actual item (like jewelry, a vase, etc). PayPal considers this a service and will not follow through on your behalf.

This is a great lesson for other travelers.

Regards,

TC

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,338 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rentalinrome.com

Rentalinrome does seem to have a lot of apts that get water-damaged 1days to 2 weeks before the arrival of the renters. Either they seem to rent apts with leaky plumbing, or have natural springs nearby, or their apts get double-booked a lot and they use the water-damage as the excuse when it happens.

There is really no excuse for all the times that people's deposit does not get returned after it was Rentalinrome's fault that original apt could not be occupied by the renter. There are have been numerous examples reported here on TA, Slow Travel, at at other reviews that you can find in google.

NY
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rentalinrome.com

Here is something that puzzles me - this company or agency has a lot of bad reviews and I do not recall any of the recent complainants reporting any satisfaction or resolution for their problems- if this is wrong would like to see one posted by a complainer to at least partially salvage RIR's reputation.

Still, there are frequent posts on other topics by m......rentalinrome who looks like the same person continually giving all the excuses for rentalinrome performance. Without some credibility, how can we believe anything they say?

I do not want to get into any arguments, exchanges or excuses with RIR, just would really be nice to see at least one person who got real satisfaction for a problem recently reported.

Edited: 24 August 2011, 01:43
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,603 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: rentalinrome.com

This is the kind of bad customer service that has put me off renting apartments when I go. Since I usually stay 7 days or more, I would save money renting an apt. but I really don't want my time to be marred by this kind of thing.

This is really appalling. The agencies want your money as soon as possible when you book and then either use delay tactics and absurd excuses for not immediately returning your deposit when they don't fulfill their part of the contract.

I know all agencies don't behave this way but it is difficult to feel confident given how often these incidents occur.

You should post this wherever you can as a warning to others. Sorry this happened to you.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,338 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rentalinrome.com

I am more careful who I rent from now. I only rent from agencies that good reviews for a number of apts or at least numerous reviews on the apt I want to rent. I have rented from Rome-accomodation.net four times and had no issues at all; the agency has a service that cleans the apt weekly even if you are staying there, so there are no problems about the apts being dirty because of a differnt landlord's standards.

The apt I rented in Florence (Residenza Carmine ) was great. it was clean, reasonably prices, the landlady lived across the courtyard and was very helpful. They took my credit card for payment on the Promise money deposit and the remainder of the rent. It had numerous great reviews at Slow travel that I read before I rented the apt.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
La Residenza
La Residenza
497 Reviews
Rome, Italy
england
Level Contributor
11 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rentalinrome.com

Hello TC,

Unfortunately I paid with Paypal and as you say they were not interested.

Miriam

Mentioned in this post
Miriam Guesthouse
Miriam Guesthouse
106 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Waterbury...
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rentalinrome.com

If memory serves TravelSmith, there have been stories posted here of people eventually getting their refunds. However, it seems they had to jump through hoops to make this happen. Doesn't seem to be an easy, or stress free process at all.

In my opinion, Rental In Rome should make it an immediate priority to somehow come up with a way to streamline the refund process, thus making it simpler and faster for clients to get their money back when situations like this occur. It's very obvious that these stories continually popping up here on TA is not helping their reputation, thus costing them a fair amount of business.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rentalinrome.com

Have you gone back to your credit card company? It will take awhile, but they should be able to help you if you used a major credit card.

TL

england
Level Contributor
11 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rentalinrome.com

A new development. Since I made my posting I have been contacted, through the Tripadvisor messaging service by Michael from Rental in Rome. He has asked me if I ever my deposit back and for details of my rental. He apologised for not being in touch sooner as he was out of town for a few weeks and had only just seen my postings. I have forwarded him the details requested. I will keep the forum up to date with any further developments

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy