We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy's best small museums

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Italy's best small museums

Few great surprises perhaps, but a nice little article that introduces 15 or so places around the country that may be of interest ...

telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/i…

From the Sunday Telegraph, 21st August 2011

Peter

Edited: 27 August 2011, 17:28
Arizona
Level Contributor
509 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy's best small museums

Thank you for posting this, Peter. It's a handy list for those of us less familiar with some of Italy's smaller museums. The descriptions and links make it easy to research stuff.

Both the Villa Farnesina and the Galleria Doria Pamphilj are on the short list for our November visit. My sister- in -law loved a concert she attended at the Villa Farnesina--I'm in the early stages of researching this event for our trip. This article notes that the Galleria Doria Pamphilj offers a concert and tour, too. Sounds wonderful!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy's best small museums

That prompted me to check, and somewhat surprisingly I see that this is still available - at least to those who act quickly!

amazon.com/Little-Known-Museums-Around-Rache…

Might be an idea to crosscheck times, perhaps with the "A guest in Rome" magazine - hard copies given away in hotels, or a PDF version here...

http://www.unospitearoma.it/en.html

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy's best small museums

Also, if you liked the first article, perhaps this may be of interest?

guardian.co.uk/travel/2011/jul/13/top-10-his…

Peter

Arizona
Level Contributor
509 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy's best small museums

Peter--

Thanks for the continued links! I've ordered the The Little Known Museums book--it looks like a gem. I have something similar for Paris, and it's been one of my favorite resources. I'll visit a few of the Roman places this fall; others I'll reserve for my (already anticipated) future travels.

The Guardian article provides many links to other sites. Very helpful!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy's best small museums

In that case you may have already found this?

amazon.com/City-Secrets-Rome-Essential-Insid…

The first edition was long my inseperable companion, but I'm just itching to get back with the new one!

Peter

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy's best small museums

If you go to the Villa Farnesina, which I highly recommend, don't miss the museum in the Palazzo Corsini, right across the street. This is another small museum with an excellent collection, in one of Rome's Renaissance palaces.

I spent several long weekends in Rome this summer. We visited mostly smaller and less-known museums, including the Villa Farnesina and the Corsini Gallery. Even though this was the height of the summer visitor season, we never encountered crowds and it was a real shock when we passed by Trevi Fountain one day. I highly recommend that summer visitors to Rome skip most of the big draws and spend some time in these smaller museums and churches, and, of course, in the parks.

Arizona
Level Contributor
509 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy's best small museums

Peter--Thanks for suggesting the City Secrets Rome book. The new edition is now on my list!

bvlenci--Thanks for the Corsini Gallery tip. We love going to smaller museums. On this second trip (8 nights) to Rome, we'll return to a few places (for example, the Borghese Gallery and the Forum et al), but we look forward to exploring many new sites.

Would either of you know if I can buy tickets to music venues at the Villa Farnesina or the Galleria Doria Pamphilj directly at their ticket offices? We'll be in Rome in November. I intended to buy tickets through Classictic.com, but I'm sure there's a mark-up to do it that way. I'm trying to do as much as possible on my limited budget! Thank you for your advice.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italy's best small museums

Don't know re the GDP as we've only done the tour of the palazzo - but I see there seems to be a €3 difference if you use the Classictic site, as against this for instance...

dopart.it/roma/suoni-e-visioni-di-caravaggio/

But oddly the section in heavy type here - showing the €30 price, or only €27 for those with the RomaPass - is missing from the page's English version....

dopart.it/roma/…

They do however say "Tickets: the Palace Box Office" and also "Biglietteria: Botteghino della Galleria" - so perhaps they're on sale there as well? In that case, if you're having the RomaPass, you might save €6... or not get in at all, if they sell out?

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Italy's best small museums

PS - Meant to say, glad you liked the City Secrets as well... lots of little gems and interesting insights!

Peter

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Italy's best small museums

Thanks, Peter (yet again)

I've been to the Farnesina and the Doria Pamphilij --- but who knew there was a deChirico museum in Rome!