We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarket Ettiquette

Oxford, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarket Ettiquette

My husband and I were recently in Rome and we went to a supermarket to buy a couple of things. While we were waiting in line, but after we had put our items on the conveyor, an elderly lady (seh was probably close to 90) kind of backed into the line, and put her items on the conveyor behind ours. She was standing in front of us, however. There was clearly a line behind us. The cashier had already started to ring up our order, since our items were on the conveyor before hers, but she just stood in front of us. She wouldn't even let us around her to pay. I'm just wondering if we missed something and were rude somehow. Any ideas?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarket Ettiquette

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Little old Roman ladies are sometimes a law onto themselves.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarket Ettiquette

I'll say. Have had some strange, yet intriguing encounters over the years with said women. Surprising but kind of endearing.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarket Ettiquette

I don't think it just applies to old ladies in Rome. We have our share in the US who pull the same trick. I think that some older people for some reason think they have more of a right to faster service than others...

I actually had an older lady push my cart out of the way (in the grocery store) and move in front of me. I was shocked. But I didn't say anything...because she was an old lady! They do that stuff because they get away with it most of the time...

Just sayin'. :)

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,239 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarket Ettiquette

Old ladies (and just occasionally some others with only one or two items) frequently push in to the queues in the supermarkets I use. But usually only in front of people who have full carts, and they do ask politely first (though how can you say no?).

Civitavecchia, Italy
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarket Ettiquette

This sure drives my american cousin crazy every time he comes to Italy!

I have to admit there are many older ladies here (I must include my mom) that think that their time is more precious than anybody else! That is actully funny. You did nothing wrong. And yes, it has happened to me several times. If I am in a good mood I just pretend nothing happened. If I am in a bad mood I just say: "grazie signora" (thank you lady). She would usually ignore me and keep going!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarket Ettiquette

this is quite common, in general you should always let elderly people sit on the bus and go first in line. Unlike here in NYC, no one gets up for the elderly, it's quite sad!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Supermarket Ettiquette

What do busses have to do with pushing your way to the front of lines?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,327 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supermarket Ettiquette

I may let someone in front of me who looks older BUT NOone pushes THIS X NYrker out of a line!!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Supermarket Ettiquette

Hell to the yeah, Riff M

United States
Level Contributor
449 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supermarket Ettiquette

I hope you just ignored her, as I always do. In my case, it's a tough call: 7-month pregnant woman vs. elderly woman, but I think I win.