We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel To and From Rome

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
251 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Train Travel To and From Rome

hi

i will be traveling by train to rome from sorrento. i wil spend 6 days in rome and then travel on to florence by train.

being an idiot, i'm wondering whether i need to worry about reservations for these trains? can one normally just buy a ticket the day of travel? or, do i need to work on making reservations online?

i'll be traveling in mid to late november.

thanks.

United States
Level Contributor
9,622 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Travel To and From Rome

The only reason to buy tickets ahead of time would be to save some money if you can get MINI fares. For you, that would be Naples-Rome and Rome-Florence. You would have to commit to a certain train/time/day although some limited changes are allowed but you would lose your discount.

TAB

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Travel To and From Rome

Trains rarely sell out or fill up, the exception being on the occasion of a pretty intense TrenItalia strike or some major holidays (especially if they fall on a weekend). You can generally get tickets the same day, from the automated machines at the stations. The only reason then would be to get some special discounts on tickets as TAB mentions, of which there are often a few. But again this does mean you are committed to a specific train/time/day.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
203 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Travel To and From Rome

You could also buy a ticket the day before at termini station, so you will have more options in terms of departure times for the following day.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Travel To and From Rome

Not worth the bother, in my opinion; buy them once you are there. English is widely spoken at the ticket desks, but expect a queue because Termini station is very busy.

5. Re: Train Travel To and From Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 23:19