We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After hours Vatican tour worth it!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
After hours Vatican tour worth it!

Ever since I read about this exclusive tour 3 years ago or so in the travel section of the weekend paper I knew this is what we would do when we finally made it from Australia to The Eternal City of Roma. My Better Traveller and I gladly invested in the privilege of having the Vatican rooms, halls and Sistine Chapel to ourselves (well us and 28 others) for nearly 3 hours. A wise investment indeed as it turned out that day otherwise we would have been schlepping through with 42 000 others in a bustling, disheartening tourist whirlwind urged on by cries from the tour guards of Silenzio! Instead, we had the leisure of lingering over the remarkable treasures and capturing some with camera in 3 groups of 10, spread out so it really felt like we had the place to ourselves (I even have a snap of the cleaners sweeping up to emphasize the "after hours"). The tour guides were wonderful and the highlight of course was being able to stand solitary in the middle of The Cappella Sistina-unforgettable! If you love art, history and architecture, this tour is definately worth a splurge-and that is saying something considering the many wonderful splurge opportunities on art and history Italy has to offer. Many thanks to The delightful Donnegans of Tour Company ITALY WITH US.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After hours Vatican tour worth it!

Thank you for your review. I'm not usually into tours but will definitely consider this one! Although as I will be in Rome in February, perhaps the Vatican will be suitably quiet during the day.

I'm glad you had a great time! Nothing like the Sistine Chapel.

NY
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After hours Vatican tour worth it!

A nice report - would you mind sharing the cost with us?

I had decided that once was enough for me, but doing it again on this kind of tour might cause me to rethink that and go again.

Tuttle, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After hours Vatican tour worth it!

I am assuming you are speaking of the Vatican under the Stars tour? I have this on my MUST see tours. I am so excited about this. :)

And thank you for sharing.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: After hours Vatican tour worth it!

I've often thought about doing the Vatican After Hours. I know that the Heen Donegan's outfit offers the tour, as does Context Travel. On their website Context says they take a maximum of 24 people and enough docents to break up into groups of no more than five.

Has anyone ever done the After Hours Vatican tour with Context?

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After hours Vatican tour worth it!

We did an After Hours tour with Viator and had 8 people total, there were 10 people in the museums counting our guide and the guard who walked with us. Our guide did her doctoral thesis on the Vatican Mueums, so we were in good hands. We paid about $350 per person but it was worth every penny since my husband & I don't like crowds at all.

There's nothing like pics of empty galleries.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: After hours Vatican tour worth it!

No, Rebel_Shay, Vatican under the stars is *not* the same as an after-hours tour. For Vatican under the stars, the main areas of the Vatican Museums are open to the public; after-hours tours take place when the museums are *closed* to the public.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: After hours Vatican tour worth it!

Yes as Zerlina states, the After Hours tour option is NOT the same as the Friday late-night admission option that they opened up last year. The Friday night option is the same price as regular general admissions, and though it might be less crowded than say a morning tour any other day, it is by no means going to be empty. The exclusive After Hours entrance option however costs a heck of a lot more, ranging in prices from 350 Euros per person to over 3,000 Euros for an extremely exclusive private small group experience. In any case, I have never heard anyone say they were not amazed by the experience...and anyone that has been elbow to elbow with people inside the Museums would agree it would be a much better experience ;).

8. Re: After hours Vatican tour worth it!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 00:17