We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trenitalia Question

Pedricktown, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Trenitalia Question

My girlfriend and I are traveling from Venice (11/9/2011) to Rome. We wanted to purchase train tickets through tren italia. I noticed the mini fare was cheaper, but i am not sure what the mini fare is and why i cannot book two on the same transaction. Am i missing something?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,205 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trenitalia Question

You should be able to book both seats at the same time if you put in two for the number of travelers.

The mini fare is a capacity controlled discounted fare that can save you up to 60% off the regular fare. It has very strict change rules so be sure you can make the train if you book that fare.

Donna

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trenitalia Question

Do yourself a favor and read the rules/restrictions concerning the "MINI" fares before purchasing a ticket at that rate:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

"MINI" fares are fabulous until you discover that you should have read the rules before buying.

Pedricktown, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trenitalia Question

thank you donna, ill try again.

California
Level Contributor
198 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trenitalia Question

Well the rules/restrictions are pretty simple: You buy the pretty much fixed fare for the exact train.

To me this fare brought some great savings, but mostly because I know the exact times of travel. However, this year I did not know about the "Sabato Italiano" offer (just below), which would be even more economical...

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trenitalia Question

But beware that the "Sabato Italiano" allows absolutely no changes, which is even more restrictive than the "MINI" fares. "Sabato Italiano" becomes a trap for those who need to change their travel plans due to unforeseen circumstances (medical problems, etc.). The "MINI" fare provides slightly better protection in that regard. BTW, "Sabato Italiano" currently ends on Sept. 24.

Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trenitalia Question

I had heard that you could not book on-line with Canadian/American credit cards...???? We will be in Rome for 4 days and then going Rome to Venice and then Venice to Florence 3 days later should we book ahead of time for these trips, or are we good to book when we get to Rome? Are we good to just do it at the kiosk's at the station's?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,540 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trenitalia Question

Their site now accepts US credit cards.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
597 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trenitalia Question

I reckon if you know when and where you want to go you should book ahead and take advantage of any discounts you can get. Personally I wouldn't spend more than I had to just to ge flexibility for an unlikely event such as a medical emergency. That would be like paying full fare for a flight instead of taking a restricted discount fare.

California
Level Contributor
198 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trenitalia Question

I've booked 2 weeks ago with Canadian CC, worked perfectly.

Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trenitalia Question

Am I reading it right on the trenitalia site that mini fares can only be booked within 2 days of the departure?