We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Round trip Rome-Florence-Rome bus shuttle

States
Level Contributor
118 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Round trip Rome-Florence-Rome bus shuttle

Hello-

Can anyone supply info/experience with the bus shuttle service from Rome to Florence for the day & back to Rome? I believe it is offered by Viator using contractor Carrani Tours. However, reading postings about Carrani leaves us with trepidation about using that company. Tried calling them - no answer.

We are attempting to get from Rome to Florence, preferably by bus, just to spend the day on our own there - don't want a city tour or a prearranged lunch. And then get a bus back to Rome.

Any ideas or experiences???? Would truly appreciate it!

Thank you :)

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,146 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Round trip Rome-Florence-Rome bus shuttle

Viator is a consolidator and uses many companies for tours and other things. You might want to look at the train schedules and fares. If you book in advance you can qualify for the mini fares which can save you up to 60%.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Donna

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,494 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Round trip Rome-Florence-Rome bus shuttle

Any reason you don't want to use the train. It would only take about 1.5 hours on fast train and if you book in advance on line you might get a good price with a "mini" fare (mini fares have certain restrictions so carefully read those).

You can book online at www.trenitalia.it. Chose English option and check out their schedules. Fast and easy to use.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,794 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Round trip Rome-Florence-Rome bus shuttle

A bus would need about 3 - 3 1/2 hours one way. Train takes 90 min.

This "bus shuttle" probably runs once or twice per day. Trains run every 30 minutes.

What is so important about a bus shuttle?

States
Level Contributor
118 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Round trip Rome-Florence-Rome bus shuttle

Hello -

Thank you for your suggestion...

can you please tell me, if we take the train - I assume it is from the main termini in Rome. I see that there is 1st class / 2nd class (I guess the prices are round trip???) But what is meant by "mini"?

Also, are these direct train rides from Rome to Florence or stops along the way?

We'd greatly appreciate any info....would be our first time ever on any Italian train.

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,794 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Round trip Rome-Florence-Rome bus shuttle

>I see that there is 1st class / 2nd class (I guess the prices are round trip???)

The price are one way. Most people just need a transportation from A to B. It is not a tourist shuttle.

>But what is meant by "mini"?

A discounted fare that you can get if you purchase well in advance.

>Also, are these direct train rides from Rome to Florence or stops along the way?

Most high-speed trains don't stop between Rome and Florence - why is it important?

If you want to get off on the way you would need to take local/regional trains which are much slower.

States
Level Contributor
118 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Round trip Rome-Florence-Rome bus shuttle

Hello -

Well, actually...we've never taken the trains - didn't know how difficult it might be. So perhaps that's the way to go. Is this a direct non-stop Rome/Florence train ? I assume it leaves and returns at the big termini in Rome. Don't know where the train station is in Florence...is it near the historic area? Lots of ignorance here concerning all this - never did it before. Appreciate any info!!!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,794 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Round trip Rome-Florence-Rome bus shuttle

>Well, actually...we've never taken the trains - didn't know how difficult it might be.

Hundreds of thousands of people take trains every day in Italy, as commuters tourists, on business trips or to visit friends. There is nothing difficult about it. It is not flying.

> So perhaps that's the way to go. Is this a direct non-stop Rome/Florence train ?

It is probably a Naples-Venice or Bari-Milan (or ...) train which uses the main rail backbone running the length of the "boot".

>I assume it leaves and returns at the big termini in Rome. Don't know where the train station is in Florence...is it near the historic area?

Google Florence Santa Maria Novella (or just SMN) station. Google maps should show the location better than any explanation would do...

All main train stations are in centers of cities, there would not be any sense to build one somewhere else :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,494 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Round trip Rome-Florence-Rome bus shuttle

Yes it is direct; yes it leaves from Roma Termini (main Rome station) and Florence station is not far from center.

Your guidebook and maps either in the book(s) or separate will be essential for your trip. If you have not yet gotten it, it is good to get before so you can learn about what you want to see and also read about the train stations, buying tickets, etc.

States
Level Contributor
118 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Round trip Rome-Florence-Rome bus shuttle

Thank you so much for the great info.

Wondering now if we should purchase tickets online or just a day or two ahead of time at the Rome termini itself. Don't know if the lines are huge or if tickets sell out for the Rome/Florence high speed train. Do you happen to know what the differences are between 1st class & 2nd class accomodations?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,146 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Round trip Rome-Florence-Rome bus shuttle

Not much difference between first and second class and not worth the extra money for such a short trip. If your plans are set you can buy your tickets online and get the mini fare to save a few euros. If your plans are not set then just buy them at the station.

Donna