We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome- How's my itinerary?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
74 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Rome- How's my itinerary?

Anything we are missing? Anything we should skip? Other suggestions? Thanks!

Day 1

Coliseum, Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill

Day 2

Vatican 9-6pm Mon-Sat, 15E

Capitoline Museums not open on Monday, 9-8pm

Day 3

Pantheon- free admission

Spanish Steps

Trevi Fountain

Piazza Navona

Day 4

Anything we didn’t get done on the other days

Check out the neighborhoods more- Jewish Ghetto, Trastevere

1. Re: Rome- How's my itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2011, 11:27
Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome- How's my itinerary?

I think you'll find the ability to do more in your days, depending on the pace you move. You've left time to do more if you wish :-)

We managed to do the underground colosseum tour, had lunch, did the roman forum and palatine hill with a free rick steves audio guide, and then went to the capitoline museums after. And still went out in the evening.

We also did the vatican museums (a tour through them), went into the basilica and did a rick steves free tour, and walked around outside before going to get lunch. We had the afternoon to go and do other things. I think we walked through the jewish ghetto and across to trastevere for dinner that evening. Yes, another rick steves tour. They were free and very well done :-)

You may consider spanish steps after the vatican. You could walk from vatican along the river up to piazza del poplo. The central area of Rome is not huge and easy to walk (if you don't have mobility issues).... so trevi fountain, the pantheon, piazza navona, etc. wouldn't take long. Make sure to check out the column of marcus aurelius and Hadrian's temple when you are in the neighborhood!

Have fun on your trip!

Edited: 10 September 2011, 00:12
sydney
Level Contributor
387 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome- How's my itinerary?

I guess everyone is different but including Borghese and above it took me a week to get through it all and even then i felt i rushed it a little...

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome- How's my itinerary?

wow! a whole week to do those things?

To each their own :-) I am young and fit and was never rushed at all seeing all I did. Just moved at a steady pace and made plenty of time to stop for cafe several times a day. I like to keep moving. :-)

We did much more than that in 6 days, 1 of which was a day trip to assisi and another was a half day trip to ostia antica.

In Rome we were able to see:

- Colosseum/RomanForum/Capitoline Museum all in a day

- Vatican Museums/Basilica/Spanish Steps/Piazza Del Poplo/Walk past Ara Pacis & the mausoleum/dinner in trastevere with nice walk all in a day

- Metro to Circus Maxiumus, walk up aventine hill to knights of malta keyhole, walk to baths of caracalla and see that, walk to the gate and catch the bus out on the appian way, a few small museums on the appian way, walk for 2 hours and visit the catacombs on the way back and go walk to piazza navona for dinner that night - all in a day

- Upon arrival day we walked past the pantheon, hadrian's temple, the column there too, trevi fountain, piazza navona, walked down via guilia, through campo de fiori, through the jewish ghetto, by the theatre ruins, by the vittoro emmanuel II monument, and more! It was a big walking day as an intro to Rome and very easy to do.

- Plus more! That's what i remember off the top of my head! At night we always walked and explored new areas too.

Have fun on your trip :-) You know your travel style better than anyone else.

south jersey
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome- How's my itinerary?

I think that your day 3 is too light. You would be able to see and experience those four things in a short time. Hubby and I just got back from Rome and one of the best things that we did was to make reservations to the Borghese Gallery. They only let a set number of people in and it housed some of the most beautiful and famous sculptures and paintings. We rented the self guided tour and I have to say we were both blown away at the art that we saw that day. Another interesting (free) thing to see is the Capuchin Crypt... although a bit creepy. It is a church made up entirely of bones (bones of friars)... whatever you do, please look into the free podcast by Rick Steves. I don't know if I could have enjoyed the Roman Forum and colosseum without them. We even did the Colosseum underground tour and actually learned more from the Rick Steve's podcast. Rome is magical... enjoy just walking around and discovering!

Edited: 10 September 2011, 16:44
6. Re: Rome- How's my itinerary?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2011, 03:15
7. Re: Rome- How's my itinerary?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 21:16