We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appia Antica Park

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Appia Antica Park

We will be in Rome next week and I heard about how they close down the old Appian way on Sundays and you can rent bikes etc..

That really sounds like something we would like to do. However I am little nervous on getting there from our hotel. We are staying right by Piazza Venezia and from what I am reading it seems like we need to make our way to Porta San Sebastiano (sp?)

Would it be easier to take a cab or a bus? How easy is it to get a cab in Rome by the entrance of the park for our return? Would we have to schedule the taxi in advance?

Or can anyone recommend a really good bus route map?

and where does one buy bus tickets?

Thanks in advance

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Appia Antica Park

I must be talking about a different Appian Way then, sorry for the confusion

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,686 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Appia Antica Park

I went tot the appian way park site to look at the maps that show the bike trails, hoping to get more enlightened over my walking knowledge. I have been to the park on 4 different occasion at different sections of it, but I got a 404 message at 3 of the links.

This is the appian way south of the Tomb of Cecilia meteals. That green vehicle is the archeobus. Then Tomb of Cecilia Metella is as far south as it goes

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

I downloaded the pdf file and looked at that map. Myabe the bike trails are the dotted yellow lines? But they were not continuous and part of the time you would have to ride on the road itself as you procceded south of the Tomb of Cecilia Metella.

The scenery and ruins are beautiful on the appian way, but pavement is uneven and even on Sunday you have otr watch out of the local traffic and the buses. In Ostia I have tripped and fallen fron even jsut walking on ancient pavements while not paying close attention.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,686 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Appia Antica Park

"as the bus does NOT drive along there due to it being a 2300 year old road!" The bus drives on it till you get to where Via Pignelli branches off shown on this map

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

And the local traffic even on sunday does drive on it. The previous picture of the Appian way looking south toward the Tomb of Cecilia Metella, has a stop sign on it. Such a sign woud be unnecessary if people did not drive on it.

the Pavement is not 2300 year old pristine pavement like in Pompeii. The ancient pavement stones were used but secftion of the road has been reconstructed using them.

Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
221 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Appia Antica Park

I am interested in seeing some of the Appia Antica park, too. One of the previous posts has led me to this site:

www.slowtrav.com/italy/rome/dm_aqueducts.htm

which details how to get to visit the Aquaducts. Has anyone done this? Is it then possible to start at the Aquaducts following these directions and then walk back through the park to the entrance? Seems like it would make more sense starting further along and coming back out rather than backtracking. Advise appreciated.

Directions to aquaducts as posted:

• Buy a metro ticket. It costs €1 and can be purchased at the station.

• Get on the metro line A, direction Anagnina

• Get off the metro at the Subaugusta station.

• Exit toward via Tito Labieno.

• Walk down via Tito Labieno a few blocks (about 600 m) to the park.

• When you cross via Quintilo Varo, you will know you are headed in the right direction.

• Cross via Lemonia and you are there.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,686 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Appia Antica Park

After you see the Aqueducts you can go back to Metro A at the subaugusta stop, and then go in the direction of Battistini and then get off at the Colli-Albani Metro stop. Nearby you can board the 660 bus that will take you down to the Via Appia near the Tomb of Cecilia metella. YOu can then go south to see the Archeological Promenade, or north back towards Rome and see the Catacombs of St Callistus, The Catacombs and Church of St Sebastian (these catacombs are closed on Sunday), the Church of Quo Vadis, the Tomb of Priscilla, the St Sebastian Gate, the Arch of Drusus, and the outside of the Tomb of the Scipios, and other ruins along the way.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Appia Antica Park

I'm always wary of placing too much reliance on undated accounts of a single visit; while people may report faithfully what they've seen on the day, they rarely know of subsequent changes....

So, although not particularly recent either, I'd suggest also having a copy of the Park's leaflets...

www.parcoappiaantica.it/en/testi.asp…

... and maybe this...

parcoappiaantica.it/it/…20acquedotti.pdf

... or one of these...

www.parcoappiaantica.it/en/testi.asp…

For the sake of 10 minutes, you might also like to read this - from 2009 apparently...

roninrome.com/sites-and-attractions/aqueduct…

Peter

17. Re: Appia Antica Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 15:15