We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this phone worth it???

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Is this phone worth it???

Our Verizon cell won't work in Italy or Spain and Verizon is offering us a temporary phone for $20 for the month...we need something for emergencies only....trying to figure out if there's any other options or should we "just do it"?? Any advice would be great!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,344 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this phone worth it???

That's really not worth it in my opinion. Just buy one locally, and get the local SIM for cheap calls (I guess it depends also how long you are going to be staying in Italy)

see this recent thread

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k47…

NY
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this phone worth it???

Personally? I would just do it - they will set up the phone with international roaming - but, watch the amount you use it since the cost will be high (but you said emergency only) This phone should also have your regular number tranported to it -ask Verizon. You might want to keep the phone off most of the time sometimes if is on and you do not answer you will get charged even if it goes to voice mail. Texting is the most economical.

With this approach you can just get off the plane and your phone will be picking up one of the services as soon as you turn it on (assuming Verizon does it right)

NY
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this phone worth it???

PS - I have actually done this with Verizon, no muss no fuss no dealing with local purchase or sims - but of course the answer would be different if you were going to travel to Europe a lot.

Lakewood Ranch...
Level Contributor
211 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this phone worth it???

It sounds like a better deal then what we did. We went through an international phone company for $29.99 and only made a 203 minute call each day home to check on our daughter during our two weeks out of town.

The final bill was around $150 dollars - so not worth it.

We should have looked in to Verizon as they are our carrier.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,133 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this phone worth it???

I don't think you can find a phone in Italy to buy that would cost less than $20!!

The question is how much are they charging per minute with that phone?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this phone worth it???

Thanks for all of the comments, we'll "just do it"!!! If you pay an additional 4.50 the cost is 99 cents a minute in Italy and Spain, otherwise 1.29 a minute...I think we'll pony up the extra 4.50!!!

Beaver, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
34 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this phone worth it???

The $4.99 Global Roaming Value Plan is prorated for the time you are using the phone. In our case we will pay 15 days or $2.50 for reducing the per minute charge from $1.29 to $.99, As soon as we make 8 minutes of calls, we will reap the benefit. My main concern was being able to confirm reservations and for emergeny use. Texts are .50 to send and .05 to receive. The use of the phone is actually free -- the $21 covers shipping\ via overnight FedEx.

8. Re: Is this phone worth it???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 18:16