We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viatour One Day Trip from Rome to Pompeii and Amalfi Coast

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Viatour One Day Trip from Rome to Pompeii and Amalfi Coast

Has anyone done this trip and do they do a good job? Their website has lots of good reviews but I am looking for something independent. There are just two of us and it's too expensive to do this alone. Any other recommended tour operators are appreciated. Thanks. We leave a week from today.

CRM

Washington, DC.

Chicago
Level Contributor
93 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viatour One Day Trip from Rome to Pompeii and Amalfi Coast

I don't have experience with this particular trip, but one day seems too short for Pompeii or the Amalfi Coast alone. I have no idea how they would fit both into a single day. At a minimum, I would try to allow for at least one day for Pompeii and two for the Amalfi Coast.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Viatour One Day Trip from Rome to Pompeii and Amalfi Coast

I can not think how this would all be done in one day. You could do Pompei easily enough by taking a train to Naples and the local train to Pompei and join an inexpensive tour at the site. Pompei is enormous and usually takes at least around 4 hours.

Driving by the Amalfi Coast is probably all you might get if you try to do both in one day.

Edited: 12 September 2011, 22:41
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Viatour One Day Trip from Rome to Pompeii and Amalfi Coast

I can not think how this would all be done in ne day. You could do Pompei easily enough by taking a train to Naples and the local train to Pompei and join an inexpensive tour at the site. Pompei is enormous and usually takes at least around 4 hours.

Driving by the Amalfi Coast is probably all you might get if you try to do both in one day.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,648 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viatour One Day Trip from Rome to Pompeii and Amalfi Coast

Viator doesn't operate tours; they're a reseller, or consolidator, of tours operated by other companies. You would need to find out the name of the company actually operating the tour, and look for reviews on that tour.

I agree that if you try to see Pompeii and the Amalfi coast in one day, you won't do justice to either.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
290 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Viatour One Day Trip from Rome to Pompeii and Amalfi Coast

Viator offers reviews of its tours. But don't go just by what you see when you go to the reviews tab. If you open the entire review by clicking on the reviewer you can read a great deal more. I thought about doing their Pompeii/Naples tour until I read the reviews here and on their website. Lots of mixed reviews.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Viatour One Day Trip from Rome to Pompeii and Amalfi Coast

It is true that a trip like this will not do justice to either Pompeii or the Amalfi Coast due to the limited time available. However if you only have one day available and just want to spend a few hours at Pompeii and see what the Amalfi Coast is all about, this sort of trip fills that requirement.

It will be a long day mainly on an autoroute and you probably would like to have been able to spend more time at Pompeii. However on your return trip you will presumably be driven along the famous Amalfi drive and stop for a short time in Amalfii.

It is the sort of trip that some people hate hence the mixed reviews. The fact that Viator is only a third party does not influence the trips content. If you are prepared for a long day go for it!

Edited: 14 September 2011, 06:54
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Viatour One Day Trip from Rome to Pompeii and Amalfi Coast

Is this the one, their "small group tour"....

viator.com/tours/…d511-2635POM

Peter

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,648 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Viatour One Day Trip from Rome to Pompeii and Amalfi Coast

I think the fact that Viator is only the reseller IS relevant. I would want to know the actual operator before signing up. Some operators are known as reliable and others are known as unreliable. I would also want to know whether the itinerary includes a stop at a coral factory or some other high pressure sales point.

I suspect that this may be the actual operator of this tour; the descriptions are quite similar:

www.rometoolkit.com/tours/amalfi_pompeii.htm

I never heard of Rome Toolkit. Perhaps they are also resellers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,889 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Viatour One Day Trip from Rome to Pompeii and Amalfi Coast

Some of the Viator tours are done by this company ( I did a couple of their tours in 2009)

www.darkrome.com/tour_list.aspx…

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Viatour One Day Trip from Rome to Pompeii and Amalfi Coast

I think Rome Toolkit *is* a reseller, and if you Google something like >"Amalfi is a labyrinth of narrow lanes"< only what seem to be resellers come up.

What would worry me is this sentence that Viator decently includes but not all others do: "Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund."