We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your favorite thing to do- if you've been to Rome often

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
290 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Your favorite thing to do- if you've been to Rome often

I tried this when I went to London on another forum. Someone mentioned something I had not thought of and it turned out to be one of the highlights of my London trip, so here goes:

If you have been to Rome 4 times or more or you are a local, and know the city well, what is the one thing you always like to see or do inside Rome or about an hour's travel from Rome? If you can exclude anything to do with food or shopping, that would be helpful.

Also, where are some of the places locals like to spend a Sunday afternoon?

And finally - what is the wealthiest area of Rome (the equivalent of New York's Upper East Side)?

Thanks.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Your favorite thing to do- if you've been to Rome often

I've been to Rome around 40 times. Most often, there's something newly or briefly open to the public that interests me more than the "biggies". I've been to the Colosseum maybe three times (but I'd go back for the underground tour), to the Roman Forum also about three times (once when a church was briefly open), the Vatican Museums maybe four times, seeing different sections in different visits. I do go back, if I'm in the area, to some of the churches: the Pantheon, San Luigi dei Francesi, Santa Maria del Popolo, Santa Maria in Trastevere.

In good weather, Romans like to go out to the countryside for Sunday lunch, which often takes most of the afternoon (oops, sorry: it's food).

Parioli is probably the wealthiest area in Rome, but people who live in the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area have to be pretty darned wealthy as well.

Edited: 13 September 2011, 23:52
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,292 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your favorite thing to do- if you've been to Rome often

For us, it's the Pantheon. It is just the perfect building, and we visit it every time we are in Rome. Sitting at a cafe in the piazza, looking at the Pantheon, and watching the passing parade is good fun, too.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your favorite thing to do- if you've been to Rome often

I like Trevi Fountain at sunset. The fountain totally changes from daylight to dark and is just beautiful. Also, like sitting on the steps on Piazza di Spagna and watching life and people, as they go by.

Also a typical Roman dining experience at Hosteria Romana, just off Piazza Barberini.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your favorite thing to do- if you've been to Rome often

I too could never tire of gazing at the Pantheon.

Here's an idea: get up at an ungodly hour of the morning (say 5am) just to go out and have things like the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain pretty much all to yourself. It makes quite a difference when all the tourists and plastic junk sellers aren't around to annoy you. I did that on my 4th and 5th visit to Rome and it remains a highlight among my memories.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,547 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your favorite thing to do- if you've been to Rome often

As Nick says, the Pantheon, I can't get enough, but also Piazza del Popolo and the church of SM del Popolo which is just loaded with art treasures. It was my first church in Rome and blew my mind.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,523 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your favorite thing to do- if you've been to Rome often

We've been to Rome 6 times and have taken in most of the sites. We love the Colosseum and Forum as well as the Pantheon. One of the things we really like to to do is to take a leisurely walk to Trastevere, and then sit down at a little cafe in Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere to have a glass of wine and watch what goes on in the piazza. Wonderful place to watch people, Romans and tourists alike. We then have lunch there

Edited: 14 September 2011, 03:05
Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your favorite thing to do- if you've been to Rome often

Been to Rome a bunch of times and I love wandering around Trastevere (stopping for Pizza Margherita at a restaurant there) in the evenings, and then head up to the Capitoline Hill later in the night to sit and 'quietly' view the Forum while the spot lights shine on it. In the day time I like the Palatine Hill, just wandering and thinking about the famous people who lived there.

Much of my wandering includes having a bottomless bottle or Peroni on hand....

Come to think of it, I like to sit somewhere with a panino and a Peroni and view something 'famous'. Last summer, I sat on a shaded bench in the Forum Boarium with my panino and Peroni, and offered assistance to many a tourist for about an hour. Met lots of very nice people that day, who decided to join me for a few beer. Surprisingly, was a highlight of that particular time in Rome.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your favorite thing to do- if you've been to Rome often

I also feel that the Pantheon is very special... there is something about this structure which makes me feel that it is the heart of Roma.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your favorite thing to do- if you've been to Rome often

Been to Rome about a dozen times--the Colosseum is my fave. I have to at least see the outside of it every time. It's fun to look at it from different vantage points.

Favorite thing to do? Strolling. Oh, and sitting at an outdoor cafe, enjoying the vino rosso. :)

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,253 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your favorite thing to do- if you've been to Rome often

I go the Roman Forum and the palatine everytime I have been to Rome.

If I am in Rome on a sunday, I love to go walking out on the Appian Way when it is closed to traffic.