We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus number 492 (Staz.ne Metro Cipro (MA))?

Zurrieq, Malta
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bus number 492 (Staz.ne Metro Cipro (MA))?

This Sunday we will be at Rome and need a trip from Trevi Fountain to our Hotel near Piazza Risorgimento (Vatican area) at about 9:15 in the evening. The ATAC website is recommending bus number 492, but there are no departure times listed. Does this bus work on Sunday late evenings, and till what time does it work? Should I rely on it?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus number 492 (Staz.ne Metro Cipro (MA))?

Yes, the 492 is a workhorse and will run until about midnight. Unfortunately, as you're headed out on a Sunday, the buses are far less frequent. I lived on Via Candia for years and the 492 was my primary mode of bus transportation. You get on at Via del Corso or Via del Tritone. Both stops are are a similar distance to the Trevi. Then you'd get off the bus at the corner of Via Crescenzio near Piazza Risorgimento.

Unfortunately, the A line metro in not runningon Sunday after 21:00 due to construction... see here: http://tinyurl.com/metro-2100

Zurrieq, Malta
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus number 492 (Staz.ne Metro Cipro (MA))?

Thanks a lot for your answer! We were also considering walking for 10 minutes to Piazza Venezia and getting bus number 64 from there. But we heard that bus 64 is very dangerous because of pickpockets so we are in a dilemma.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus number 492 (Staz.ne Metro Cipro (MA))?

A good bus that goes down Via Tritone, and very close to the Trevi is the No. 62. It terminates in Borgo S Angelo, which is a very short walk from Piazza Risorgimento. It runs on Sundays up until midnight.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,946 posts
602 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus number 492 (Staz.ne Metro Cipro (MA))?

Usually the last regular buses leave the terminus at 12.00; most of them (including the 492) run on Sundays too, perhaps a little less frequently. If you are at the stop some minutes before midnight, you shouldn't risk anything.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus number 492 (Staz.ne Metro Cipro (MA))?

The 492 is a reliable chariot indeed....well as reliable as a bus can get in Rome anyways ;). I wouldn't avoid the #64 by the way, simply for pickpocket warnings. Pickpockets can be anywhere (even inside a crowded museum), so you should be fine provided you keep an eye on your things!

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus number 492 (Staz.ne Metro Cipro (MA))?

Yes absolutely anywhere, PrestoTours! Last week on 6 Sept, we took a bus from Cornelia (the No. 49) because the metro was on strike; it was so crowded we were jammed in but my brother in law had his wallet stolen from a pocket on the leg of his cargo trousers. He never felt a thing ...

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus number 492 (Staz.ne Metro Cipro (MA))?

Pickpockets are on all the buses, and in every place that's crowded or where people are distracted. They would be really easy to avoid if they stuck to just one bus. There are more stories of pickpocketing on the number 64 bus only because so many tourists take it to the Vatican. I've often used the number 64 bus and never had a problem. As Presto says, just be alert and vigilant.

Sunday evening isn't prime working hours for pickpockets, anyway.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
647 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus number 492 (Staz.ne Metro Cipro (MA))?

Hi,

Our family's arriving at Roma Tiburtina (instead of Termini) on a Trenitalia train from Firenze, and we're staying in the Pantheon area. From Tiburtina, I see that bus 492 operates to the Vatican area and passes through Pantheon. The problem is that on the ATAC website there is a remark next to the bus route number saying that it's Temporary?

Does anyone know what this means (and will it be operating in August 2012)? There's the option of taking a taxi, but from what I've gathered online that would be over 20 euros.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus number 492 (Staz.ne Metro Cipro (MA))?

It just means that the route is temporary, not that the bus is temporary. The route has probably been diverted to avoid construction. If the ATAC site shows a permanent route in addition to the temporary, which they do if the deviation is going to be brief, check it also.

Anyway, my bus map shows the 492 passing along the eastern side of Piazza Navona, the side closest to the Pantheon, so I assume that's the permanent route.

rome
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus number 492 (Staz.ne Metro Cipro (MA))?

492 is not temporary and it always passes by piazza navona on the eastern side. But depending on where exactly your appt is in the Pantheon area, getting off at Largo Argentina might be even better for you.