We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Ciampino Airport to city centre

Stirling, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Taxi from Ciampino Airport to city centre

Hi everyone

My boyfriend and I are going to Rome soon, we have 3 lugguages to carry so want to book a taxi on arrivial, the hotel we are going to stay in quoted 60 EUR for pick up, is this price reasonable? How much it will be if we have one from the airport without booking?

Thanks in advance.

D

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,050 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from Ciampino Airport to city centre

Check the taxi fare guide www.worldtaximeter.com/rome

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from Ciampino Airport to city centre

The price quoted by your hotel for the pick up is double what a taxi would charge from Ciampino to the City Centre. There is a set rate fare of 30 euros. There are usually plenty of taxis outside the terminal, so pre-booking is not necessary. Make sure, though, that your hotel is within the Aurelian Walls because this is the area covered by the set fare.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,629 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from Ciampino Airport to city centre

Chris is right, the set rate is 30 euros for any place within the city walls. Be sure to take a cab from the taxi rank and not from anyone who approaches you offering a ride. These are the people who will charge you double or triple what the fare should cost.

Check with your hotel to see where it's location is to see if you qualify for the set rate. If you do qualify just take a cab, if you don't qualify you can take a cab but you'll be on the meter. You can also book a private transfer from a company like romecabs.com. Check their website to see what their fare will be.

Donna

Sweden
Level Contributor
171 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from Ciampino Airport to city centre

Is trastevere considered to be in the city centre? When I checked online with a cab company I got a privce of 50 euros to via della scala? Is this a reasonable price or should I also just grab a cab outside the airport?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,945 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from Ciampino Airport to city centre

It looks like this hotel is just inside the fixed-rate area: see roninrome.com/%20transportation/the-fixed-ra…

Remember that companies like RomeCabs are not actually taxi companies: they provide a car with driver and can charge whatever they like.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from Ciampino Airport to city centre

Hi Ninnanorr, have a look at this link - and scroll down to where it says "Taxi service from Ciampino airport". Under this, in brackets and in red, it says "see map". This will open in a new link. The yellow shaded area is within the Aurelian walls and is the area for the fixed rate of 30 euros.

www.comune.roma.it/wps/portal/pcr…

Via della Scala is near Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere, so is within the Aurelian Walls. The cab company you saw on line is probably a private taxi service and will charge more. At the airport, you can pick up a white taxi, but make sure it has the Comune di Roma badge on the side.

Print off this map and if there is any dispute with the taxi driver over the fare, shown him that you know the rates and the area ...

Sweden
Level Contributor
171 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi from Ciampino Airport to city centre

Thank you Chris49! =)) I will do as you said. Sounds like a much better deal. =)

Edited: 20 September 2011, 13:57
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi from Ciampino Airport to city centre

I'm not one of their biggest fans, however one of the big differences is that the private operators will sit and wait out any delay in your plane's arrival, with earning any extra money... so they're often a little dearer.

And your hotel, not reasonably, will want a few Euro from the deal - to cover both the cost and someone's time in making the arrangements on your behalf, and also in anticipation of the grief they'll have in sorting out the few pickups that inevitably go wrong?

Then of course, if the rain buckets down - as it did yesterday - your private hire car will still be waiting there for you, even when previous arrivals have swept the rank clear of the ordinary taxis!

They're somewhat different levels of service - so pick whichever you'd prefer, and pay the price, now that you understand the difference?

Peter

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
68 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi from Ciampino Airport to city centre

Hi all

Is it still the case that this is €30 from Ciampino to the city? I tried looking at the map to see if my hotel is covered but I can't make it out. I'm staying in Residenza Cellini, Via Modena if anyone can assist. Finally, if the fare is still €30 how do I get this fare when I want to get back to Ciampino from my hotel. Can I just hail one on the street or do I need to book it etc.

There are 2 of us going and I was thinking of terravision but this would be €8 for us to termini and a taxi from termini would probably be another €12 to the hotel so it would be as well just getting a taxi as we arrive in at like 10pm on a Sunday evening

Many thanks

Edited: 01 October 2012, 16:30
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
68 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi from Ciampino Airport to city centre

Hi guys can anyone advise on this?