We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO Navona, Penthouse View - has anyone stayed?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
VRBO Navona, Penthouse View - has anyone stayed?

Hi there,

My family of five adults (siblings and Dad) have found what seems to be a really great apartment to rent for a week next October 2012. Has anyone stayed in the VRBO listing #286392 "Navona, Penthouse Wonderful View"?

If not, do you have any tips or concerns for me either in that neighborhood, or regarding renting VRBO in general? I have never done it before, have always gone with a hotel or B&B. But with five adults all needing some space for a week, this seemed ideal.

I assume given the neighborhood it may be noisy... but considering we need a central location, enough separate beds for five, at least two baths, and a lift for Dad, and really loved the thought of a terrace for some dinners.... this seemed like a good bet?

Thanks in advance!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VRBO Navona, Penthouse View - has anyone stayed?

Sorry - a link would probably help, right?

http://www.vrbo.com/286392

It is on Via Monserrato.

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
511 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VRBO Navona, Penthouse View - has anyone stayed?

I can't comment on the apartment because i haven't stayed there but we stayed at a hotel a few minutes walk away. The location is excellent!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VRBO Navona, Penthouse View - has anyone stayed?

Yes, the location is excellent. via Monserrato is a small street off the beautiful Piazza Farnese, and so would not be particularly noisy (except motorini, etc). Very convenient too.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,830 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VRBO Navona, Penthouse View - has anyone stayed?

"But with five adults all needing some space for a week, this seemed ideal."

You do realize that this is a three bedroom apartment, and that two people will be on a hide-a-bed sofa in the living room? (and their suitcases will be there too) I am not sure from the comment above that this is exactly what you want.

The other question I would ask, just to clarify about the lift--is the penthouse on the fifth floor as well? In some buildings the lift only goes so high, and then you walk. It wouldn't bother me, but you mention your father, so I assume he'd rather not have lots of steps ahead of him after a day of sightseeing.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VRBO Navona, Penthouse View - has anyone stayed?

Hi, thanks for the responses so far. I'm glad the neighborhood seems ok. I had heard the area around Campo di Fiore was loud, and assumed because it was sort of close by the apartment would be noisy as well. But after looking at a map (and traveling down Via Monserrato by way of Google maps - LOVE that tool!) I see it's a much smaller quieter street.

To Laura, one of the bedrooms has a queen-sized bed, one has a double bed, and one has two singles. We were assuming my brother and Dad would get the single beds, two sisters would share the queen, and one lucky one would get a room of her own (to be fair we'll probably draw straws or play rocks, paper, scissors, or like the days of our youth, fight it out til one cries uncle ;-) ) Only if the beds aren't as described will the sleeper sofa be used. Thank you for inquiring about the lift. I did check and it goes to the fifth floor, where the first level of the apartment is. The bedrooms are on the upper floor, but that should be no problem. Dad is less mobile than he used to be, but he lives in a two story house now and climbs one flight of stairs every day to his bedroom so he should be fine.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VRBO Navona, Penthouse View - has anyone stayed?

Some more questions about the neighborhood?

What are some of the restaurants, markets/stores, and public transportation handy to Via Monserrato? Dad can't walk more than an hour or so at one time without some rest so we would be looking to make short trips out from the apartment and then catch public transportation around, if possible.

It would be nice to have a nearby market, pizzeria, and/or gelataria...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,571 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: VRBO Navona, Penthouse View - has anyone stayed?

There are more of everything you ask about than one can count.

I will just throw out one of my have inexpensive eating spots just a couple streets (about 5 minutes at most) walk away from the main square of Piazza Navona (which you really shouldn't eat around as it is very expensive and really not very good as it is geared to the tourists) -

Navona Notte is the little place I head to a few times each time I am there. I love their pizza but have seen the other food and it too looks good and people have said it was good. You can take a peek at the menu here and also see their location:

http://www.navonanotte.it/

It is in italian but you can figure it out - there is the list where the menu is located, just click on that.

It is simple and basic and good. Some tables outside as well.

In just one month from today, I will be there as soon as I hit Rome for my favorite pizza.

In Campo de'Fiori, another favorite of mine - though a ristorante rather than a pizzeria/trattoria - is Costanza. Really excellent food in a part of the historic spot where Caesar was murdered - can't get much more interesting than that really and the food is very good. More pricey than Navona Notte but you can eat for a decent price. Campo de'Fiori is right across from Piazza Navona - maybe a ten minute walk.

http://www.hostariacostanza.c

om/

8. Re: VRBO Navona, Penthouse View - has anyone stayed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 14:19