We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay in Rome?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
88 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Stay in Rome?

Hi Everyone,

I know that this question has been asked before, but I thought I'd ask again for our situation. It is mine and my husband's first trip to Rome. We will be in Rome for 5 nights (from 3rd Jan - 8th Jan 2012) and we are in our mid 20's. We'd like to be close to all the tourist sites and we would prefer to rent an apartment as opposed to staying in a hotel room. It would be great if there are good, well-priced restaurants close by and public transport. We would also like to be in a safe area where we can walk around at night if we need to. We are looking to spend less than US$200 per night if possible.

Thanks in advance :)

nyc
Level Contributor
319 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay in Rome?

GC: Try not to think in terms of being close to ALL the tourist sites. The places you'll visit will be spread out if you are in Rome for 5 days. The public transportation system is excellent, both buses and trains, and easy to use. So you can pick a place to stay based on your other criteria: apartment, restaurants, convenient transportation, safe area to walk at night, less than $200.

Others can advise better than I about apartments. For your other criteria, I'd recommend the areas of Testaccio and Trastevere. If you opt for a hotel room or b&b, you can do very nicely in either of those areas for well under $200.

Davidson, North...
Level Contributor
243 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay in Rome?

I just came home after a week long stay in Rome.I have been to Rome on several occassions before and always stay in the Piazza Navona or Pantheon area.For me it is so centrally located and you can walk to many areas including the Vatican,Trastervere,Campo,Piazza Navona just to name a few.Rome is a very easy walkable city and since you are young you can walk almost anywhere!

We rented an apartment on Via Del Governo Vecchio,awsome street with so much right outside our apartment.Piazza Navona was 3 min. away.Our apartment was way less than $200 a night.Its called the Sally Apartment and the company is Friendly Rentals.

Kelowna
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay in Rome?

We are planning a trip to include Rome and have used "Sleep in Italy", staying near Popolo and this time planning on Navona using "Friendly Rentals". We have had some issues with sleep in italy on our last 2 visits with one shower room not working, cleaning not done (wasted an entire day/evening). Did you encounter any issues with check in process, contact person(s), cleaning etc with Friendly rentals?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Stay in Rome?

I also recommend the Piazza Navona/Pantheon areas. The only public transportation you're likely to need is your feet.

Some general advice on renting an apartment in Rome:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187791-c162553/Rome:…

Florida
Level Contributor
924 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Stay in Rome?

I am currently using Friendly Rentals for the Piazza Navona Sally apartment and it's a wonderful location within walking distance to most everything, very comfotable for a couple. The check in process went smooth and they did accomadate my early arrival which was wonderful. I also have to say that it's surrounded my many wonderful restruants, cafe's, and bars. I wish I stayed in this area on previous trips. Would gladly return!

California
Level Contributor
145 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Stay in Rome?

Just came back this week from Rome. We rented an apartment on Vicolo Della Vaccarella, which is about 2mins from Navona, 5 from Pantheon, and 15 to Trevi. The Colosseo/Roman Forum/Palatine Hill was a good 30 min walk. I think nothing beats staying in the Pantheon/Navona area. Lots of good restaurants (but not in the actual Piazza - too touristy) nearby, plus major bus transfer hubs (Argentina and Corso). PM me if you are interested in the apt we rented. I'm sure you'll enjoy Rome!

Davidson, North...
Level Contributor
243 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Stay in Rome?

GingerKelowna---We did not encounter any problems with Friendly Rentals and in fact had just rented the Sally Apartment as well!

The whole process went smooth and the contact person met us right on time. The apartment was very clean when we arrived.I would highly reccomend Friendly Rentals.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Stay in Rome?

Hi there

You could try the homelidays website to look for an apartment.

Kind Regards

Merran

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
88 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Stay in Rome?

Thanks everyone for all your advice!

10. Re: Where to Stay in Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 23:20