We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upscale and/or unique hotel or B&B near the Forum/Colosseum?

Level Contributor
116 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Upscale and/or unique hotel or B&B near the Forum/Colosseum?

Would love suggestions for a hotel or B&B with a knockout location in southeast-ish Rome.

I'm going to be in the city for one night and one full day before heading to Lanciano for a wedding. It's my first time to Rome, I'm traveling by myself, and I want to optimize the free day I have by exploring the area on foot. I plan to wake up at dawn, so ideally it would be a somewhat safe location for me to walk around at a time of day that's not very busy.

I'll be coming back into Rome later in the trip and will be exploring the Villa Borghese and Spanish Steps, etc., area with a group, so I don't need to be near those attractions.

Ideally, I'd stay someplace very near ruins or a historically important site (not like Rome isn't a historically important site itself!). Because it's just one night, this typically budget traveler is willing to splurge to get what she wants.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Upscale and/or unique hotel or B&B near the Forum/Colosseum?

You can go upscale to over-the-top - Hotel Forum, Hotel Capo d'Africa, Inn at the Roman Forum - but you don't have to: the Hotel Lancelot is a well-liked three-star.

The area (Colosseo) is safe, and you can use www.venere.com to look at available accommodation in all price ranges. Guest ratings are more reliable than star ratings.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Upscale and/or unique hotel or B&B near the Forum/Colosseum?

When people ask about staying in a more fancy-smancy place versus another that looks just fine and is in a good location, I generally say this: how much time do ou plan on spending at the hotel? That should determine how much you are willing to pay for something that has more or less stars, whatnot. If you plan on being out and exploring, more than staying inside your hotel with room service et al....I'd suggest staying at a good location but more reasonbly priced and splurge outside of the hotel ;)!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upscale and/or unique hotel or B&B near the Forum/Colosseum?

The views from here take some beating...

http://www.hotelforumrome.com/

And it would be only a modest walk up the hill to the Cavour Metro station - from where Metro line B should take you to Tiburtina...

http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4

... the place you'd need go for the bus depot used by services to Lanciano...

www.difonzobus.com/orari-autobus.php…

Peter

@
Level Contributor
331 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upscale and/or unique hotel or B&B near the Forum/Colosseum?

Colbe Hotel

UK
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upscale and/or unique hotel or B&B near the Forum/Colosseum?

This hotel was highly recommended to us recently by friends who always stay there when visiting the city:

http://www.kolbehotelrome.com/

NY
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upscale and/or unique hotel or B&B near the Forum/Colosseum?

I would second the Lancelot fairly near the Col., although it is not the fanciest, you may find the cost OK for one night after looking at costs for the higher priced hotels. When I was staying there they had a great breakfast included as well.

Level Contributor
116 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upscale and/or unique hotel or B&B near the Forum/Colosseum?

Thanks for the input. I made a reservation at the Lancelot. Not as nice (or as expensive) as the others, but from the reviews it sounds like the customer service is better. Thanks again!

8. Re: Upscale and/or unique hotel or B&B near the Forum/Colosseum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 16:17