We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Strike - October 28

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
425 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
General Strike - October 28

From what I have read, it looks like a national general strike by UIL is now confirmed for October 28 including a large demonstration in Rome. Not a lot of details have appeared on this one but it seems to include all public sector employees. Since I am arriving in Rome that day, does that mean that customs and immigration officers at FCO will be on strike? And how about employees at the various sights and monuments? I did read the employees of the Ministry of Heritage are joining in.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: General Strike - October 28

It's not *all* public-sector employees. "Pubblico impiego" is defined as those employed in kindergartens, schools and health services or by municipalities and local police forces.

If there's a major demonstration, it will not be a march but confined to a single piazza. The mayor of Rome has issued a one-month ban on marches.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: General Strike - October 28

P.S. It's a *national* strike; it's not a *general* strike.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,860 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General Strike - October 28

Strikes and marches are planned on 28-29 Oct and 1 Nov in many cities across Europe and the US. I suppose we'll have to wait and see what evolves. My trip to Rome is on Nov 18th.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General Strike - October 28

The UIL is a large and well organized union. They themselves will take measures to prevent violent infiltrators from taking over their demonstration. Plus I'm sure the police are getting some much-needed reviews of crowd control tactics.

5. Re: General Strike - October 28

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 October 2011, 17:57
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
425 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General Strike - October 28

Thanks everyone for the replies...reassuring to know I will likely not have any problems at the airport. My plan is to take buzzinrome's advice and just wander but I do have a reservation for the Domus Romane at Palazzo Valentini (English tour). Does anyone know if that is a private museum or one with unionized employees who may be on strike?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: General Strike - October 28

Palazzo Valentini is the seat of the provincial government, and their employees may well be among those striking on October 28.

8. Re: General Strike - October 28

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2011, 22:26
lincoln
Level Contributor
692 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: General Strike - October 28

Thanks for that, I also have a reservation for 28th so will call in the day before, maybe if its closed they will transfer the booking if there are spaces left.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
425 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: General Strike - October 28

Thanks for the feedback. Because I arrive on Oct 28, I ended up reserving a place at Domus Romane for Oct 29. It's something I do want to see and I decided it was worth spending the price of an extra ticket on. For anyone interested, there are still a few openings for Oct. 29.