We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vatican tours

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
149 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
vatican tours

Do I need to book a tour to avoid long queues even in November. If so which tour is best? Whats offficail tour like? In time to apply for 8th November?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
20 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vatican tours

In 2006 I was on the the two guided tours in Vatican: 1) the museum itself and 2) the Vatican garden. I booked both tours one month before the visit directly through the official booking office of the vatican museums. At that time they accepted only booking requests sent by fax. I just looked at the same site where I' ve got to know about these tours ( http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html ) and noticed that now the online bookings are available, which looks much more convenient.

The tours were amazing, both guides looked experienced and well educated, the tours were well-organized. And avoiding queues was an advantage too. As for the gardens, there was no other way to get their at that time, the tours were organized only twice a week and it was really worth getting their.

Edited: 26 October 2011, 18:56
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vatican tours

1) You do not need to book a tour to purchase your tickets online. You can buy the tickets online and present your voucher at a "will call" window at the Vatican Museum. You can then tour on your own or rent an audio-guide.

2) We rented the audio-guide but, hindsight being 20/20, should have gone on a guided tour. The Museum is huge. Do not underestimate its size. A guided tour would insure that you see the highlights and pace yourself.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,864 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vatican tours

Both the tour and the tickets will allow you to bypass the lines. You can purchase both directly through the vatican website.

I've done the vatican tour of the museums many times and find it a good, informative tour. You can also rent the audio guides as Nancy suggests. This will allow you to take your time and see what you wish to see.

Donna

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
804 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vatican tours

If you go in the afternoon, and avoid Mondays and Saturdays, it is rare that there is a line in November.

However, I would recommend a reputable guide if you want to do more than "tick the box" for having visited it, it's vast, and unless you have made a project of researching extensively beforehand, you really won't get the most out of it. Everyone has their favourite, and there are loads of recommendations on this site.

Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: vatican tours

We had a guide we walked straight in and found that using a guide was such a worthwhile experience

NJ
Level Contributor
91 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vatican tours

We visited the Vatican recently; we purchased our tickets online at the Vatican website, and paid for them at the time of purchase. We had a guide who met us at the Vatican and thus bypassed the (horrendous) line. Our guide was Carla, and we found her through romeguide@gmail.com. She was WONDERFUL, and had more knowledge than we could possibly process, plus a great sense of humor. The information she gave us about the Sistine Chapel was incredible; really breathed life into the paintings and pointed out a bunch of stuff we would've never noticed, even With our multiple guide books. We highly recommend her! She does tours of other areas of Rome also, if you're interested.

7. Re: vatican tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 23:17