We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ostia/Antica tour

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
141 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Ostia/Antica tour

My husband and I are visiting Rome in early January and we're looking for a tour to Ostia Antica....Suggestions on a good, honest,reliable tour company for this! Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,916 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ostia/Antica tour

I don't know of a tour company, but it is easy to do by public transport. The Roma-Lido suburban train line leaves from Piramide metro station, and has a stop right at Ostia Antica. Standard metro tickets and passes are valid for the journey.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ostia/Antica tour

I have been to Ostia Antica 5 times. I have seen tour groups inside, but I don't know where they come from. There are no guides waiting at the entrance to give tourist tours.

Illinois
Level Contributor
141 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ostia/Antica tour

Wow! Thanks so much for the quick reply! Do you know if they have available those headsets so that we could stroll through Ostia Antica by ourselves to learn all the history? Or maybe it would be worth a tour-guide. Hate to travel all that way across the ocean and not get the most out of our trip there....such an interesting spot!

Thanks again!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ostia/Antica tour

There are audioguides at Ostia Antica.

There's this online tourist guide to Ostia Antica:

http://www.ostia-antica.org/touristguide.pdf

Look at the home page for links to much more information.

Vancouver Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ostia/Antica tour

Context Tours are everything you ask for. The guides (or docents as they are called) are graduate students and academics. Groups are limited to 6 people. Here is a link to aTripAdvisor review:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d1…

and information from Context:

contexttravel.com/city/…Ostia_Antica

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ostia/Antica tour

There is an indoor cafe for a light lunch. The ruins cover a large open area. In wet weather all of that Roman red brick would be quite a sight.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
370 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ostia/Antica tour

We had done Osia Antica on our own with just guide books and the Rick Steves tour guide. The next time we went we did the Context Rome tour and it was amazing. The guide had a ph.d. in history and knew every little detail. We learned more in 3 hours with Elisabeth than we could have in days of exploring on our own. Context Tours limit their tours to no more than 6 participants, so the tour can be very interactive and the guide can focus on the interests of the group. We met at the Piramide metro station and on the short train ride we began our "lesson". I'd highly recommend going with Context Rome....janell

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ostia/Antica tour

Another excellent guide for any ancient Roman site is:

http://rome-tours.com/

I used this guide once for a tour of the Roman Forum, and would love to visit Ostia Antica with her. I've been there four times, but I often wish I had more information that what's provided at the site. It's also not easy to find things there. I've never used the audio guide, which I think must be fairly new, but I don't know how it would work at such a large and poorly marked site.

los angeles,ca
Level Contributor
133 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ostia/Antica tour

A few years ago, we did an amazing tour with Daniella Hunt. She is excellent. Just Google her for her tours.

Illinois
Level Contributor
141 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ostia/Antica tour

Thanks to you all for the great suggestions!!! Much appreciated!!