We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TripAdvisor Help

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
TripAdvisor Help

I'm still a relative "newbie" to TA, but I wanted to send out a quick post to anyone else in my shoes. I just noticed one of the destination experts had posted in another topic:

"Hardly seems any point in keeping the "Top Questions" list up to date? Looking there would have lead to full details..."

For the past several months, I have only used TA on my mobile, so I didn't understand the "Top Questions' reference. Imagine my surprise - and delight - when I logged on using my computer today and found a TON of consolidated information related to "my" forum!

If you are new to TA and only accessing on your mobile, please be sure to log on through the regular website to see what's available!

Thank you PETER for inadvertently bringing this to my attention! (you know who you are.) :)

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TripAdvisor Help

I do indeed!

And this seems an ideal time to propose a medal for SydneyNick - particularly for his guardianship of some of the "TQ Rome" entries.... so frequently the target of overzealous recommendations (and downright plugs) for taxi firms, limo companies and like!

Peter

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,749 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TripAdvisor Help

Thank you so much of letting everybody awear of it, l think most people do not even open the top posts. Hubie

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,325 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TripAdvisor Help

Thanks Peter.

It is true that it is quite often necessary to delete obvious advertising; but it is also true that other people can add information that I did not know, such as the recent material on the Terravision bus from FCO. It is a co-operative effort.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,252 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TripAdvisor Help

Yes, there's a lot more to the internet than mobile browsing. You get a "Reader's Digest" condensed version on the mobiles.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
391 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TripAdvisor Help

I use trip advisor a lot on my iPad.

Always when I travel.

It isn't the same as when you use tripadvisor.com. It can be very different.

Frankly, too many people just assume that "you" are at fault for not recognizing all that Trip Advisor has to offer which is a little presumptuous. Not everyone reads the extensive Travel Articles for a place like Rome. Not everyone knows about the Top Questions. Not every platform to use TripAdvisor has immediate access to those features.

And you see people asking innocent questions which of course have been asked before and you see people jump down their throat for not "searching" for the answer before asking and in some case the rudeness scares them from asking any other questions.... and it can scare people who have never asked a question before who only lurk in the forums reading posts while planning a trip from actually asking questions. I've had a number of people private message me about that in the Paris Forums especially.

Give people who ask duplicate questions a break. If it offends you so much, then spend your free time on another website. Duplicate questions are on every forum I've come across on Trip Advisor... and it doesn't hurt to answer the question again. In fact, it can help those planning trips who are only reading the forums and reading through posts...those people who never actually post anything (which there are a lot of).

Yes, in addition to the top questions you can use the search field on trip advisor forums. But for those who have never used it but still respond to people saying "use the search box" (you know you've seen those responses on here!) they must not realize that the trip advisor search function in the forums is a huge drawback and not terribly accurate or easy to find what you may be looking for.

Keep asking questions! People like me love to read them. Even the repeats.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,709 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TripAdvisor Help

It's true that the TA search function leaves a lot to be desired. I've often failed to find even very recent things I posted myself, and that I therefore know are somewhere in there.

I have given up on the TA mobile app. Not only is it missing various functions, it insists on making me read the Italian TA forums, which have almost no traffic, are laden with plugs, and (worst of all) don't let me help the English language visitors to Italy. The only way I could see the English language forums would be to change the default language of my phone to English, which is a bit drastic.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TripAdvisor Help

bvlenci - Gosh! I can't even imagine having to change the default language on my device - that would just put me over the edge!!!

jerryott & vtjedi - Thank you for the candid info! I've only recently come into the new millenium - I have a regular cell phone (not smart), but in July I added a Samsung Galaxy Tab (7.5") to my plan which replaces my e-reader. So, I've only been using "mobile apps" for about four months. I had no idea until this week that the mobile apps were so much more limited than the full web pages. (It just hadn't occurred to me.) I'll admit that I was a little worried about starting this thread, because I was embarrassed that I was SO uninformed. But, this is the first forum environment that I've ever participated in, and I HAVE seen some of the postings to others about using the search feature. I felt badly for some of them, and hoped that this thread might save them some grief later!

8. Re: TripAdvisor Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2012, 06:15