We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Ornaments

Connecticut
Level Contributor
146 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Ornaments

I will be in Italy next week for 11 days. Going to Rome, Florence & Venice & areas in between.

Where can I buy some Italian Christmas ornaments? Would they be available in November?

Thanks for any information.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Ornaments

I was there a few weeks ago and found a Christmas shop, believe it or not! They had a few other things, too, but mainly ornaments. Here's where it gets hard though; I don't remember EXACTLY where it was. It's on a street between the Pantheon and Corso V. Emanuele II, one of the streets running in that direction and alongside the Pantheon. (Looking at the Pantheon, head down the street alongside it, and to the back of the Pantheon.) It was on one of the streets flanking the Pantheon, or possibly Via del Gesu.

They also sell Vatican Christmas ornaments at the store nearby St Peter's. It's a huge huge gift shop. After exiting St Peter's stay to the right (past the restrooms and post office). Turn into the colonnade and follow that until you see the street in front of you--the shop is there on the corner. Sorry for the vagueness--I don't remember the names of the shops...

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Ornaments

If you are driving between Rome and Florence through Umbria I would suggest that you stop in Deruta, the capital of ceramics and majolica ware. We were there in September and bought some beautiful pieces from www.ceramichemiriam.it/ in the old inner town of Deruta (along with a 12 place setting of beautiful "geometrica" majolica ware. They will ship. If you visit their web site you can view some of the Christmas ornaments. Hope this helps.

california
Level Contributor
665 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Ornaments

Mike, those are beautiful plates! I don't see prices on their web site, may I ask how much you paid for a set of 12 plates, with shipping? We would be taking a train to this town, do you know if this store is walking distance from the train station, or if there are taxi's available?

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Ornaments

There are taxis available and the interior of the walled town is quite small. We bought the blue and yellow geometric design that you see on her website. Marcella is considered to be one of the best, if not the best ceramists in Deruta along with her uncle Eugenio Riccerrelli, for whom she started out with a number of years ago. We bought 12 place setting of 4 pieces each (plate, salad plate, pasta/cereal bowl and mug) plus a ton of bowls, platters, tureens, serving pieces like cruettes, etc. plus some pieces for some friends. The total bill including shipping came to about 6600 Euros, but I don't remember exactly how much each place setting ran. Part of it is that you need to pick your pattern, then pick the pieces and you have numerous choices of "form" for each piece, ie, square plate, scalloped edged plate, etc, as well as chargers, saucers, etc. Then when ordered, she makes them specifically for you with your name fired into the bottom of the plate. we felt that Marcella's work was heads and shoulders above many of the other artists in Deruta. However, here is the website of another ship that we liked right around the corner from Marcella's. www.dgceramica.com. Hope this helps. Mike

Ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Ornaments

I got a beautiful Christmas decoration in Venice - a ceramic Santa in a gondola. It's handcrafted and delicate. I bought it in one of the many souvenir shops. Christmas decorations were easy to find. (and that was in April!). While in Rome I also bought a small glass Christmas tree, filled will glass candy sticks and bobbles. Again delicate and very pretty. I also seen these trees in Venice in many of the little shops off St Marks Square. You won't have challenge finding something perfect :-)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
146 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Ornaments

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions:) I'm leaving tomorrow. Can't wait to see Italy!

7. Re: Christmas Ornaments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2012, 05:17