We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport roma- firenze..

Xanthi, Greece
Level Contributor
20 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
transport roma- firenze..

train or bus? I want to travel from ROMA to FIRENZE 2/1/2012 and return early in the morning of 4or 5/1/2012...is it posible for someone to help me...??

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,226 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport roma- firenze..

There is no bus direct from Rome to Florence although you could travel (rather slowly) by taking one bus from Rome to Siena and then another to Florence.

The obvious way to travel is by train. See www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
12,443 posts
643 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport roma- firenze..

In fact, train is the best option. Notice that there are also regional trains, slow but really cheap (17.05 euros from Roma Termini, 16.85 from Roma Tiburtina). On the Trenitalia website you can see them going to "tutte le soluzioni" (by default it usually shows the fastest - and most expensive - options).

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transport roma- firenze..

However, the schedules don't show regional trains for your dates yet, not even if you select "all solutions". If you want to see the regional trains, use a date before December 11th, when there will be a schedule changes. They're very slow at posting the schedules of regional trains, because they're always trying to cut this service and the various regions are always opposing the cuts.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
12,443 posts
643 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transport roma- firenze..

I would suppose that they are very slow at posting regional trains, also to induce costumers to think that just the most expensive options exist.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport roma- firenze..

I can only speak of what's going on in Le Marche, where there is a huge discussion going on over the suppression of many regional trains, including some entire routes.

On the routes I mostly use (Adriatic coast, Ancona-Rome) the regional trains are always shown by default. Maybe because there are a lot of them? In fact, I've never seen an example where selecting "all solutions" shows more trains that were already shown by default. Do you know of any such page, just to satisfy my curiosity?

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
381 posts
1,499 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transport roma- firenze..

I highly recommend the fast train. If you book now, you will be able to get one of the mini fares which will save you some money. There is frequent service and it takes about 1 1/2 hours. I have already book trains for those same date from Rome to Florence and return to Rome. The mini fare for the trains I booked was 32 euro per person each way. The mini fare varies depending on the time of day you travel and if the lowest price seats have already been booked. With that fare you have a reserved seat in a very comfortable oach, in second class. For infromation go to www.trenitalia.com

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
12,443 posts
643 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transport roma- firenze..

Bvlenci: you know that Rome and Florence are on the most important line in Italy, because it connects 6 of the 8 main cities, so Trenitalia has preferred to concentrate there the fastest (= the most expensive) trains Frecciarossa. Since the Frecciarossa exist, Trenitalia has a strong interest in showing it in any occasion and in trying to induce as many people as possible to buy its expensive tickets. So, between Rome and Florence regional train still exist, and are a good option in certain condition, but Trenitalia prefers to keep them somehow hidden, otherwise it came to compete with the Frecciarossa. Rome-Ancona is certainly a less important line, so they had no interest in introducing too expensive trains and have no much problem in showing the available regional trains by default.

Luvroma: I understand that in some condition the fast train is recommendable. But I think that being aware that slower and cheaper options exist too is important. I think many people (not only foreign travellers) take by default the fastest ones because they even don't imagine that there are other options.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transport roma- firenze..

Aristofane: I just searched for a train tomorrow from Rome to Florence, indicating I wanted to depart at 8 AM. It shows me three AV trains, one IC train, and one regionale veloce. If I select "All solutions", it still shows the same five trains. That's what I meant; I've never seen a situation where there were hidden trains that "All solutions" would reveal.

Xanthi, Greece
Level Contributor
20 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transport roma- firenze..

thanks dear friend. Tell me what exactly is MINI FARE, the only negative is that you cannot change dates or take money back in case of changing sth in your choices?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transport roma- firenze..

The Mini fare gives a discount, sometimes a large discount and sometimes a small one, for people who buy their tickets in advance. The largest discounts are usually available only if you buy a month or more in advance. You can't change these tickets at all on the day of travel, not even if you miss your train because another train arrived late. You can change them up until the day before your scheduled departure, but you would have to pay the full price of the ticket.

Because the ticket is so restricted, I wouldn't choose a Mini fare if there were only a small savings. I'd rather pay at least a few euros more for a normal fare. If the savings were much more, and if I were sure of my time of travel, I would get a Mini fare.