We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Champagne near Trevi fountain at 2am

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Champagne near Trevi fountain at 2am

Got a surprise in store for a partner.Plan to go to Trevi fountain around 2am when its quiet is there anywhere you could recommend we could pop into for a glass of champagne at this time of night thats romantic.Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,182 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Champagne near Trevi fountain at 2am

If you have a look on Googlemaps street view you will see that the piazza surrounding Trevi is very small and the nearest thing to a bar is a gelato shop, not very romantic and not likely to be open at 2am.

I am also not sure if the lights on the fountain are kept on all night.

There is an hotel with a terasse overlooking the fountain

splendia.com/en/relais-fontana-dei-trevi-rom…

all I can suggest is ring them, see if their bar is open at 2am and ask if the fountain is still lit at that time.

Charles City, Iowa
Level Contributor
264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Champagne near Trevi fountain at 2am

You'll have to stop in at one of the area deli/wine shops earlier in the evening and pick up your champagne. Take it to the fountain with you and enjoy it while looking at the fountain at 2 am. You actually are not supposed to bring drinks to Rome's fountains, but we've done it and had no problems. Rome is pretty well shut down by 2 am.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Champagne near Trevi fountain at 2am

"When in Rome..." Make that a bottle of prosecco, and don't forget the biscotti and the strawberries!

rome
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Champagne near Trevi fountain at 2am

actually, "when in Rome....", make that a bottle of Franciacorta (a lot better than prosecco and closer to Champagne), and skip the biscotti (sweets make your wine taste sour) and the strawberries (out of season).

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Champagne near Trevi fountain at 2am

There's a similar problem be it champagne, prosecco or whatever - the ban on drinking in the streets.

From one local publication....

"At night the Eternal City comes alive and several of its squares become brightly animated and carefree. To prevent this ‘movida’ degenerating into excess, the prohibition on the sale of food and drink, including in private clubs, and the retail sale of alcoholic beverages has been extended until 16 December.

It is forbidden to provide or sell alcoholic beverages to take away or consume outside premises or suitably equipped areas from 11 p.m. until closing time, which in any case must be the closing time established for the specific category of commercial premises.

It is also forbidden by law to drink alcoholic beverages in the streets located within the designated areas within the hours between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m.

This prohibition is in force in the main squares and streets of Municipal Districts II, III, VI, XI, XIII, XX and in the entire area of Municipal District I, which embraces the whole of the city’s historic centre."

Peter

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Champagne near Trevi fountain at 2am

Thanks guys i just thought 2am because it would still have lights on and be really quiet.Doubt its earlier when its packed :-( or i go at 1am and go the whole way back to our hotel in Trastevere for that area for a drink :-(.i thought Rome especially around this famous site wouldnt sleep all year around and this idea would be fine.Doubt i was wrong lol.Back to the drawing board

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,182 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Champagne near Trevi fountain at 2am

Peter, do you know re the illumination of the fountains? I can't find it anywhere.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Champagne near Trevi fountain at 2am

Can't tell you much from recent experience! The last time we were there at that time of night may well have been as long ago as 1996, after a New Year cenone nearby - when of course the lights were on.....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/140031806

But, with all those coins waiting to be fished out, I doubt it's ever in darkness?

Peter

9. Re: Champagne near Trevi fountain at 2am

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 06:40