We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Land in Rome or Venice?

Markham, ON
Level Contributor
75 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Land in Rome or Venice?

Hi,

We will be visiting Italy in March. We are planning to visit Rome, Florence and Venice in 9 days (well actually only 7 days as we will spend 2 days on flight).

Not sure if it makes any difference: shall we take flight to Rome, or Venice? We would need to book flight to one city, and use train to go around in Italy.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,428 Reviews
from US$83.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
537 Reviews
from US$415.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,918 Reviews
from US$124.70*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,809 Reviews
from US$61.20*
US$68.00
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,554 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Land in Rome or Venice?

I would decide based on the schedule of the flights out of each city and also if there is any difference in price by flying home from one or the other. I don't like to have a very early return flight as I miss my early morning wander on my last day so I always like an early to mid-afternoon flight back to NYC so I don't have to get up too early and I can enjoy my last hours having a coffee and relaxing before heading to the airport. But, everyone is different - it may not matter to you.

Mentioned in this post
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,380 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Land in Rome or Venice?

A lot of flights to the States from Venice seem to leave early, not the easiest Airport to get to early in the Morning,

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,654 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Land in Rome or Venice?

So many variables. I would personally rather get over jet lag in Venice and and much smaller Marco Pollo Airport.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,672 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Land in Rome or Venice?

Fly into Venice. As Sophie said above, many of the flights leave pretty early in the morning, and the logistics of getting to the airport very early can be daunting.

We usually fly out of Rome and our flights often leave between 10:30 and noon. Makes for a nice morning to get up, get a nice breakfast, and get to the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
480 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Land in Rome or Venice?

If possible I would chose to fly into Venice (really beautiful to fly over this city on, hopefully, a clear day), and being a much smaller airport it will be much faster to get through all the formalities and start to enjoy your trip hasslefree. After your time in Venice you could then start your train travels ending up in Rome, and flying home from Rome with maybe more flight choices (avoiding those early morning starts if they don`t agree with you!)

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Markham, ON
Level Contributor
75 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Land in Rome or Venice?

Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I would like to know how you book the flights into Venice and out from Rome?

I live in Toronto. I did not find any option of flying in and out from different cities, unless I book 2 one-way tickets, and that is so much more expensive!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,860 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Land in Rome or Venice?

Look for "Advanced Search" or "Multiple Destinations" on the airline websites.

Vagabonda

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Land in Rome or Venice?

Personally I love a lot departing early in the morning from Venice. There is a magic atmosphere in the air when with the motorboat cruise in the canals to reach Marco Polo airport !

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,654 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Land in Rome or Venice?

Watch it discover I have used magic to describe the atmosphere of Venice and told it is an overused noun. I love the word!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Land in Rome or Venice?

A useful nugget from 'Lynn B-Sydney', when flying into Venice, select a seat on the 'right hand side' of the plane for a welcoming view of Venice! And yes, fly into Venice and out of Rome...

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy